Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a description for ssk I haven't seen before; you slip the two stitches as always, but then you knit them off the right needle instead of bringing them back onto the left needle. Is this just a different way of doing it, or does it slant the stitch in a different direction?

·
Registered
468 Posts
When you knit them off the needle (left needle slipped back into the sts on the right needle) you knit through the back of the sts. This gives you a left-slanted stitch.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It certainly makes more sense the way you both have outlined the stitch. The pattern says "....insert needle into the fronts of these two stitches and knit them together - 1 stitch decrease." I couldn't see how I was suppose to knit them off the needle from the front, so I thought I was looking at some new alien stitch! Thank you so much for your very clear and prompt responses, I appreciate your help!

·
Registered
22,470 Posts
I always look for the way to do things with least amount of back and forthing changes. So I learned to leave the slipped stitches on the right needle and knit from there. Recently I learned another technique. I have been playing with knitting off the left needle by inserting the right needle into the back loops of 2 stitches. This seems to provide the required slant of the stitch. I just love learning new techniques.

·
Registered
342 Posts
PaigeAM said:
Yes, this is what I do, knit two together in the back but on the left needle... is this what you are doing?? Paige

lovethelake said:
Salutations

I hate SSK. So most of the time I knit two together in the back. I figure if I am consistent it works. Good luck.
I agree also, its best to knit the two sts together in the back on the left needle. I'm doing a lacy vees hat and was doing the hard way and then I remember doing it in the back. Lot easier and there is no different in my hat pattern.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I don't llike SSK either. I know insert the needle into the far side of the second of the 2 stitches and twist them as I knit. It seems all right, but I am with the person who said she knits the two together and is consistent. I know the dif, but haven't always worried about anything but being consistent.

·
Registered
22,470 Posts
Well, looks like many of us have found the same technique for an easier SSK. Little things like this make knitting so much more fun. I remember finding out I could cable without a separate cable needle. What a joy cables became after that. I found I could do even an 8 st cable if the yarn was a worsted weight.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I agree with you on SSK. They are often a pain when the stitches are small and tight. I use an old fashioned method of
Slip 1, knit 1, pass the slipped stitch over the knitted 1. Same slant. It especially works good for socks using fine yarn and needles.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi, Please tell us how you cable w/out a cbl. needle. I'm a stickler about following knitting patterns as written, although I'm always looking for the faster route-the easier ssk. we just talked about rocks! Please tell how u cbl. w/out a cbl. needle- do u just slip the stitches off very carefully, knit off the left needle than carefully pick up the loose stitches & knit them ?

·
Registered
611 Posts
My ssk's always looked a bit loose and sloppy to me, so I started doing them this way: slip the first stitch as if to knit, slip the second stitch as if to purl, put left needle through front of both stitches on right needle and knit them together. On the next row over the ssk, knit that stitch through the back loop to twist (and thus, tighten) it. When knitting socks, this makes both sides of the heel gusset neater looking. I think Cat Bordhi has a YouTube video showing this technique.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
SSK for me as a lefty became a lot easier when I started knitting into the front of the two slipped - its just like knitting into the back but puts a different slant on it .

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom