Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am new to this site thanks to a dear friend of mine for introducing me to it.
I knit a sweater for my granddaughter and she loved it and the first time she wore it the ends that were woven in were already coming out. I never used this yarn before and it does fray on the ends before you weave them in. I have knit things before and my woven ends never did this. This sweater is in the mail right now so I can repair it and have no clue what to or how to repair this. Any suggestions. :roll:

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
It depends on what type of yarn you used. Some yarns "slip" more than others and require a longer end to weave in. Weaving in over several rows helps. If you are talking about weaving in ends from where you joined one ball to another, perhaps you should consider a "Russian Splice" rather than knotting.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used Lion Brand Homespun. The ends I wove in was about 4-5 inches long and it went over several rows back and forth. The sweater looked nice and was so soft, makes me heart sick to know its coming apart. What about fray check someone suggested that on the ends before they are woven in. I've never used it and don't know if I should go buy some to fix it.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
What I do is weaving the end through the back loops of a stitch down about 1 1/2 inches. Then turn and weave it back up in the opposite direction. I find it holds better than just going in one direction. I also leave longer tails than I probably need to so that I can cut the end and have a fresh end but I don't do that until I've threaded my needle. Good luck!

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Russian splice is where you weave the yarn back into itself after looping the ends OVER each other, then you continue knitting. You use a tapestry needle to do this and it has to be done at the time you join the two ends. I usually weave back at least 3" on each side of the join.

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
It is most likely a slippery yarn, a synthetic, like acrylic, or something of the like. I once used what was called a 'mico' blend yarn. It was a terrible yarn to knit with and I am a very experienced knitter. After weaving in ends I actually had to take some matching thread, and tack the ends in several places so they wouldn't slip out again. You can also get some fabric glue and carefully tack ends with the glue, after re-weaving. The glue works excellent, just be careful not to use too much and let each dry completely otherwise you'll have more than the ends glued together. :thumbup:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Based on the fact that it is almost too late to splice etc... I would take a close matching thread and sew the ends down on the back side of the sweater, so you do not get it mailed back again *sigh* BTW... I am so sorry for you! SasZKnitter

·
Registered
20,519 Posts
I have had great success with fabric glue. I dab a little bit on the spot where the end is, press it into the fabric til it sticks & when it dries it's clear. All this of course is done on the inside of the fabric.

·
Registered
1 Posts
when you unravel a garment, you must put it in a bath of cold water. after a number of hours, ring it out and leave it wrapped in a towel overnight. hang it out to dry, and it is ready to work. good luck. violet fyi

·
Registered
190 Posts
Here is one last tip I just read about in my of my knitting books. Next time when weaving in the tail - weave in tail vertically because hortizontally will come out more easily due to the fact that they stretch more easily from side to side rather than up and down. Make sense? Good luck! SasZKnitter

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom