Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am knitting a hat for my son and the instructions that start the decreases start with:
"*K6, K2tog* repeat for round
K 2 rounds"

It then does the same for 5 4 (K 1 round) 3 2 1 and k2tog around
My question is, am I supposed to do the *K 6, K2tog* for the next 2 rounds? Because the decreases in the picture of the hat seem to appear in each row, but when I knit a second round of the K6 decrease row I an up with 1 sts more than I need to do a 3rd round.
This is my first hat/round/magic loop project and I guess I have a hard time imagining those decreases to get me down to the 8 stitches I am supposed to be left with to pull closed. Let me know so I can finally finish this before his head is too big. He os only 8 and growing fast!!! (not to mention its very mid this year anyway!)
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nevermind- I got it, its done! My 3 yr old daughter is wearing it for noe. LOL- Its camo colors. I think I have enough yarn left ofer to make him a scarf to go with- if he'll wear it. I worry that this is too small though... I may make another one soon and knit more than 5 inches before decreasing (the instructions said 5 "). It just doesnt look like it will fit like it does on the head mold in the picture with the isntructiosn, and my son has a bigger head. We'll see, maybe it will work for the rest of this winter and then I can donate it, or send it off to my nephew (will have to amke another for his brother) and make a whole new one for my guy. Will post a pic when my husband is home and I can use his phone- camera is broken. :(

·
Registered
9,149 Posts
Did you use a different yarn as what is called for in the instructions i.e. sport as compared to worsted weight or smaller needles. Both would produce a smaller result. Did you make a swatch? Good luck with the next one.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the way the pattern was put I didn't realize there were isnturctions for chunky first then worsted. I went off the chunky pattern with doubled worsted weight on 9's. Its too small for him- too short. I have more yarn... I'll make him another following the worsted instuctions and will lengthen it a tadd before decreasing. He really does have a big skull, I don't know what I was thinking in the first place. Guess I thought the decreases would lengthen it more than they did. First time.... Wills tart a new one tonight- If I can find where I put my paper!

·
Registered
467 Posts
I know that feeling of just wanting to get to it and not being as careful about what the instructions say. It can lead to an interesting life though. :D

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also- doing each round written as K but using the decrease round before it for however many K rounds it instructed got by count down, I don't think knitting those rounds without decreasing would have gotten me down to the 8 sts I needed to have left. Would it?

·
Registered
144 Posts
You actually have 14 rows between the first row of deceases and the last. It sounds like you deceased on every row instead of like it said to do. Of course I could have not understood your post correctly. I'm getting ready to start deceasing on a skater hat. I decease every other row on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom