Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the Dr.'s office yesterday and the receptionist was wearing the most unusual and unique scarf. She received it as a gift and didn't knit, so had no idea how it was done. Of course I had to touchy feely and saw it was knit about five or six stitches wide with two types of yarn - a ladder type and a textured one. The yarn fell in loops about 3-4 inches from the end of each row. It seemed to drop down about 3-4 inches and then was brought back up, knotted, and knitted to the other side, again dropping down, looping, knotting, etc. Does this pattern ring a bell with any one?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,731 Posts
VickieJ said:
I was at the Dr.'s office yesterday and the receptionist was wearing the most unusual and unique scarf. She received it as a gift and didn't knit, so had no idea how it was done. Of course I had to touchy feely and saw it was knit about five or six stitches wide with two types of yarn - a ladder type and a textured one. The yarn fell in loops about 3-4 inches from the end of each row. It seemed to drop down about 3-4 inches and then was brought back up, knotted, and knitted to the other side, again dropping down, looping, knotting, etc. Does this pattern ring a bell with any one?
No not me but I'm certainly going to keep an eye on this and hope someone does, because it sounds interesting. Too bad you didn't have your camera with you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,214 Posts
I don't know of the pattern, but I think I recognize the technique. I believe it is knit across and then the last stitches of the rows are 'dropped' and unraveled all the way down. It makes a 'looped' kind of fringe. The fringe is knotted up close to the knitting later. Found these two sites to explain. I would look on ravely for a 'dropped stitch fringe scarf'
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Knitting-2228/2011/1/Unraveling-length-scarf-fringe.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the info. This is what it looked like, however it was fringed on both sides. I understand how they did this on one side, but I'm having trouble getting my head wrapped around how to do this on each side.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,401 Posts
This was made with the self-fringing method. There was a shawlpattern on the forum a couple weeks ago doing this.
the scarf was knitted wide and before being bound off, rows on each side were unraveled and the center stitches then bound off. An easy way to make a ruffled scarf without using the bothersome yarn available.
This method is used with Montmellic embroidery for the fringe. You knit the fringe and undo most of it, leaving 3 stitches that you cast off and sew to the edge of the embroidery.

Carol J.

Carol J.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
Carol J. said:
This was made with the self-fringing method. There was a shawlpattern on the forum a couple weeks ago doing this.
the scarf was knitted wide and before being bound off, rows on each side were unraveled and the center stitches then bound off. An easy way to make a ruffled scarf without using the bothersome yarn available.
This method is used with Montmellic embroidery for the fringe. You knit the fringe and undo most of it, leaving 3 stitches that you cast off and sew to the edge of the embroidery.
Not sure what you mean by this, but would love to see it made and how!
Carol J.

Carol J.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,401 Posts
Cast on 9 stitches and knit for 10 rows. Knit back tothe center 3, keep them on your needle, drop the 3 stitches on each side and ravel them, they become loops hanging free.

Carol J.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,731 Posts
Carol J. said:
Cast on 9 stitches and knit for 10 rows. Knit back tothe center 3, keep them on your needle, drop the 3 stitches on each side and ravel them, they become loops hanging free.

Carol J.
Thank you, I am going to try this!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38,206 Posts
years back i knitted a garter stitch scarf. and when finished I left the first 6 st on the needle, dropped the next four, kept the next 6, dropped the next four........and so on. making sure the last 6 were kept.

it drops down to little ladders and is most effective.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,401 Posts
Some do that with two or three stitches on the side of afghan strips, then weave them together with the next strip. No sewing and very decorative.

Carol J.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,731 Posts
Carol J. said:
Cast on 9 stitches and knit for 10 rows. Knit back tothe center 3, keep them on your needle, drop the 3 stitches on each side and ravel them, they become loops hanging free.

Carol J.
I am going to try this, but I have one question. Why do the rows not continue to unravel as you are wearing the scarf?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,401 Posts
The stitches that are left would have to be released and raveled from the very end. The fringes started with the last stitch and taken out to the other end of the scarf. The ones remaining will stay because you will bind them off as you would normally do the end.

Carol J.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,731 Posts
Carol J. said:
The stitches that are left would have to be released and raveled from the very end. The fringes started with the last stitch and taken out to the other end of the scarf. The ones remaining will stay because you will bind them off as you would normally do the end.

Carol J.
Thank you, Carol!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,401 Posts
Going to share a picture of your scarf? I used to take out a couple stitches on the edges of afghan strips and then braid them together with a large crochet hook. Saves having to sew them together. Just finished knitting two baby sets, almost got 2 whole sets out of 3 balls of yarn, had to get another to do the last 2 inches of a cap, oh well, more booties and caps can be made with the rest of it.
I am ready for Easter, the food is waiting in the ref. and tomorrow will have help setting the table and such things.
Have a happy Easter and a blessed one too.

Carol J.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,731 Posts
Carol J. said:
Going to share a picture of your scarf? I used to take out a couple stitches on the edges of afghan strips and then braid them together with a large crochet hook. Saves having to sew them together. Just finished knitting two baby sets, almost got 2 whole sets out of 3 balls of yarn, had to get another to do the last 2 inches of a cap, oh well, more booties and caps can be made with the rest of it.
I am ready for Easter, the food is waiting in the ref. and tomorrow will have help setting the table and such things.
Have a happy Easter and a blessed one too.

Carol J.
Well, I've never put a picture in here, but I'll try. I'm making a scarf now, 10-10-10 and I'll fringe it on both sides. Going to make several, different size needles and amount of stitches, probably for Christmas. You are very energetic with your cooking and stitching. I have a pink shawl, all the crocodile stitch, I made to wear to church tomorrow morning. Happy Easter to you, too, and to all my KP family!! :-D :-D :-D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,955 Posts
What a great idea!
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom