Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have spoken to Nan's DIL to thank her for the yarn, to find out if nan took yarn, etc, with her and what could I make her to say thank you. Apparently she doesn't knit any more, so she didn't take any with her, she seems to have forgotten how to knit, (she is 92) which is a shame because she was a beautiful knitter and crocheter.
She told them to find some one to take the wool, not to just throw it out as she won't be going home again, as she isn't able to look after herself. I can't make anything as she used to do quilting and has a quilt on her bed. She has her afghans and shawls in the wardrobe, and has taken a lot of her doilies with her.
Apparently the yarn that given to me is only a drop in the bucket, that was stored in the laundry! They haven't started on the house yet. There is a lot lot more to come yet, plus material.
She has been buying yarn and such since she started work a long time ago. She would put the yarn on layby where she worked and would pick up a layby every payday, and continued to do that for many years. That is the reason she has so much.
All this yarn will shared out, and what we can't use is going to be donated to the two nursing homes, the group of ladies that knit hats to go overseas and anyone else that I can think of.
Does any body have any ideas what I can get her as thank you as she seems to have everything?

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
craftmum said:
I have spoken to Nan's DIL to thank her for the yarn, to find out if nan took yarn, etc, with her and what could I make her to say thank you. Apparently she doesn't knit any more, so she didn't take any with her, she seems to have forgotten how to knit, (she is 92) which is a shame because she was a beautiful knitter and crocheter.
She told them to find some one to take the wool, not to just throw it out as she won't be going home again, as she isn't able to look after herself. I can't make anything as she used to do quilting and has a quilt on her bed. She has her afghans and shawls in the wardrobe, and has taken a lot of her doilies with her.
Apparently the yarn that given to me is only a drop in the bucket, that was stored in the laundry! They haven't started on the house yet. There is a lot lot more to come yet, plus material.
She has been buying yarn and such since she started work a long time ago. She would put the yarn on layby where she worked and would pick up a layby every payday, and continued to do that for many years. That is the reason she has so much.
All this yarn will shared out, and what we can't use is going to be donated to the two nursing homes, the group of ladies that knit hats to go overseas and anyone else that I can think of.
Does any body have any ideas what I can get her as thank you as she seems to have everything?
You might want to accumulate pictures of what is being made with her yarn and create a collage of her beneficence so she can see how valued her yarn is. Or how about each person/group who receives some yarn writes her a thank you note. Basically, something that she will have to remember for her generosity.

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
Can you send her flowers? And make a commitment to send her a card maybe once a month or every couple of weeks.... and include any pictures of projects...
Doesn't sound like she needs any material things but those cards, pictures would be something for her to save and look at (or not) and for a few minutes or longer, she would enjoy them.
It would be an ongoing "thank you".... and she would look forward to getting that mail.
It's a lovely thing the family is doing and you are doing to help them with it and let all of the wonderful stash go on to be used to good effect.

·
Registered
33,681 Posts
craftmum said:
A HUGE big vase of flowers, I am sure she would appreciate.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I like the idea of pictures of the projects that are made with her gift of yarn. I also would suggest encouraging others that are given the yarn to do so as well. Another thing would be to put the gifted yarn something along the lines like generously donated from the stash of ....

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Visiting her every so often would be the greatest gift to this dear lady. Perhaps you could take along your knitting and show her what you are making with yarn that was so generously given to you.

My Mum really enjoyed having visitors when she went into the Nursing Home but her greatest delight, every fortnight, was when one of her dear friends (younger than Mum by 15+ years) visited with a basket of goodies. In that basket was cheese, water crackers, quince paste, Brie, a few chocolates and two wine glasses along with a bottle of her favorite drop.....Secret Stone Savignon Blanc. They would have a glass of wine, a nibble on the goodies, a great chat and many a laugh about things past and present. Jen.

·
Registered
11,038 Posts
I love the idea of project pictures, not only nice for her to enjoy but also nice for her family to see what is being done with materials and yarns that she so obviously worked hard for and loved.
Prayers to all concerned.

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
visit every week and take a little surprise like a small tube of hand crème , lip balm, bed socks, puzzle book, large print book of short stories, coloring book and crayons, good smelling soap special small box of candy, chewing gum, good smelling soap, face cream, do her nails

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
If you plan to knit for charity with the yarn, you could indicate that the items were "made with a gift from..." and suggest the receiving party/agency thank your friend in writing, as receiving mail is appreciated as well.

Enjoy your day.

·
Registered
8,825 Posts
A visit would be wonderful. And yes, find out from the family what little snacks she likes and can still eat. Some things may be taboo in the nursing home. But doing her nails or using body lotion would probably be a very welcomed gift. Pictures are a wonderful suggestion.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I totally agree with that. Perhaps you could try to cast on some stitches when you go and see if you can help her get back some of her joy of knitting. Perhaps bake a treat for her to enjoy or if they have a cafe, get her some ice cream!

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I totally agree with that. Perhaps you could try to cast on done stitches when you go and see if you can help her get back some of her joy of knitting. Perhaps bake a treat for her to enjoy or if they have a cafe, get her some ice cream!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom