Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
I see you are new... welcome
with any knitting pattern, a gauge is usually stated and a recommend a needle size but cautions to use whatever needle is required to get gauge.
I suspect the needle sizes you are mentioning in your post are from the yarns' ball bands .... which is a guideline ONLY from the manufacturer.
I would guess that each of these yarns are a worsted weight... 2 strands of worsted equals about a chunky or maybe a super bulky weight.... so I would guess at least an 11 maybe a 13 or more.

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
Make a a few swatches, using different needle sizes, then decide which one you like best. It all depends on how you want your stitches to look. Myself, I'd start with #10 needles and go up (or down) from there. Chances are that you'll want larger needles because one of the single strands calls for #10s.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Welcome from the corn and soy fields of Illinois. Unfortunately, the first thing that came to my mind was, "Swatch or punt". That's way too sarcastic but true. Since you are making coasters, why don't you just start making one and then frog it if you think another needle size would work better.

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
Aimee'smom said:
Welcome from the corn and soy fields of Illinois. Unfortunately, the first thing that came to my mind was, "Swatch or punt". That's way too sarcastic but true. Since you are making coasters, why don't you just start making one and then frog it if you think another needle size would work better.
Love "swatch or punt".... thanks for that!

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you don't like your "swatch", that is A-OK! Save it! Pin it to a piece of material - I use a piece @ least 81/2" x11" and include a note what size needles, yarn, # of stitches /inch, etc.. Then as life goes on, I don't dislike doing "swatches" anymore. Now they become part of my SAMPLER BOOK! Another thing you can do is make extra "swatches" then put them together and make an eclectic vest or afghan or something. Yes, coasters are small, and can be annoying but, if the pattern suggests doing a "swatch" there usually is a purpose, and look at what else you can do! :sm24:

·
Registered
269 Posts
I think you should look at the needle size on a project that uses a bulky type yarn about the weight of the 2 strands. You will probably need a bigger size. Try some practice swatches. I have one pattern book that is just afghans made with double strands for crochet. They call for a size N for some and P for others rather than about a size J for single yarn. Just to give you a comparison, a size J crochet hook is the same diameter as a size 10 knitting needle and a size N crochet hook is the same diameter as a size 15 knitting needle.
Color Me Beautiful said:
I am wanting to use two strands of yarn to make coasters. One is 100% cotton and calls for size 8(5mm) needles the other yarn is 100% acrylic and calls for size 10(6mm) needles. How do I figure out what size needles I should use.

·
Registered
30,096 Posts
Color Me Beautiful said:
I don't have size 10 needles...I will have to check my craft stash to see if I have some dowels to make some needles.
You might want to consider buying size tens. You may need them for future projects. They don't have to be expensive, either.
If you make needles from a dowel, you probably will not be able to have the correct size.

·
Registered
398 Posts
You could use the "wraps per inch" method to figure out what needle might work to match the gauge of your pattern. You take a fat round pencil or piece of wood and mark out about 4 or 5 inches. Holding the 2 strands of yarn together and starting at the 1st inch mark on the ruler, wrap the yarn around the wood. Don't wrap too tightly. Wrap for several inches and then count the number of wraps of yarn per inch.

7 or 8 wraps per inch would suggest using a #9, #10 or #11 needle
6 or less wraps per inch would suggest using #11 or greater.

You then need to do a gauge swatch to see which needle is best.

·
Registered
12,264 Posts
knit4ES said:
I see you are new... welcome
with any knitting pattern, a gauge is usually stated and a recommend a needle size but cautions to use whatever needle is required to get gauge.
I suspect the needle sizes you are mentioning in your post are from the yarns' ball bands .... which is a guideline ONLY from the manufacturer.
I would guess that each of these yarns are a worsted weight... 2 strands of worsted equals about a chunky or maybe a super bulky weight.... so I would guess at least an 11 maybe a 13 or more.
I agree :sm24:

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Welcome to KP. I think you have found a great place to ask your question.

I have a couple of thoughts. First, with 2 strands of yarn you are making up a chunky yarn. I would start with the size 10 needle, then see if I like that "density" for my coasters. If not, go up a size. Gauge probably isn't crucial because they aren't fitted, but density is more important. Second, cotton is absorbent, but acrylic isn't. Also, cotton tends to stretch during use, but acrylic generally doesn't. I would definitely do a "trial run" with you first coaster or swatch to see how it behaves.

·
Registered
30,096 Posts
Color Me Beautiful said:
As luck would have it I have a dowel that IS size 10. So I wont have to go out and buy them. I just have cut to the length that works for me, sharpen one end, sand smooth and glue a bead or button on the end.
Great! That worked out well!
I'm curious about how you finish them. Do you put any wax or anything on them? I think I saw some somewhere with little knobs on the ends.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom