Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fairly new to machine knitting, I have heard people say that you could knit Double knit on std machine using every other needle. I tried this on a swatch then gave it a tug and the stitches almost clicked into place and left a lot smaller swatch but looked very even and soft. Next step is to follow a simple pattern, but I don't really know about the number of needles etc. Or the tension swatch, I presume that I have to double the amount of sts but ? on rows.
If anyone could help I would be very grateful as I have a large stash of double knitting wool.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
lillypit said:
I am fairly new to machine knitting, I have heard people say that you could knit Double knit on std machine using every other needle. I tried this on a swatch then gave it a tug and the stitches almost clicked into place and left a lot smaller swatch but looked very even and soft. Next step is to follow a simple pattern, but I don't really know about the number of needles etc. Or the tension swatch, I presume that I have to double the amount of sts but ? on rows.
If anyone could help I would be very grateful as I have a large stash of double knitting wool.
Do your tension swatch as normal eg cast on 60 st counting the out of work needles as stitches. Knit 30 rows and mark the 21st each side (1 will be out of work so hang thread on the loop between)knit another 30 rows. Measure between the waste yarn for the rows and measure between your marking. You will then know that 40 stitches measures X and 60 rows measures XX. The only drawback with this is that you will not be able to knit very wide pieces as you will in effect only be able to use 100 needles.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thankyou for your help, I have in mind to do some small childrens cardies and shrugs so I won't need too many needles.
Just need to find a machine knit shrug/bolero pattern for my nine month old great niece.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
I use EVERY needle FOR DK/8PLY on old standard Empisal/brother.Looks like handknitting. DO not use fluffy yarn or some wool mixes-they are thicker.
Tension is IMPORTANT
NO tension on mast, just let yarn lie in tension gadget to guide yarn to carriage,
Tension (none) 10 on the Dial on carriage. Help the yarn to go to carriage if you have trouble.If tension is used,too tight and you will not be able to move carriage across to knit. Knit slowly and no problems. I hand knit the ribs rather than wreck my ribber.
This works for me.
BUT this depends of what kind of machine you have.
I knit to Hand Knit patterns only IF the gauge matches the test swatch.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I think you will be able to knit the finer DK yarns on all needles and tension dial 10, (10., 10..). I have seen designs in Machine Knitting Monthly using King Cole DK on standard machines, as well as on mid-guage etc. You will always need to do a tension swatch (guage) to be sure of good results. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I made a tension swatch on every needle at T10 with Sirdar Crofter DK and it came out well. I now want to knit some DK cotton and will try every needle first (on T10 or 10. or 10..) - cotton is not stretchy so it may not work as well but I need a firm fabric for a draught excluder so wish me luck.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Gurney said:
I made a tension swatch on every needle at T10 with Sirdar Crofter DK and it came out well. I now want to knit some DK cotton and will try every needle first (on T10 or 10. or 10..) - cotton is not stretchy so it may not work as well but I need a firm fabric for a draught excluder so wish me luck.
You could weave with the cotton and it would make a nice firm fabric

·
Registered
778 Posts
The thing is, the draught excluder is in the form of a long dachshund dog...it's a handknitting pattern. i want to knit the fun parts (head, legs, tail) by hand but use the shortcut of knitting the boring cylindrical body on the machine!

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Gurney said:
The thing is, the draught excluder is in the form of a long dachshund dog...it's a handknitting pattern. i want to knit the fun parts (head, legs, tail) by hand but use the shortcut of knitting the boring cylindrical body on the machine!
Weaving would be the way to go then - if you have weaving capability on your machine that is

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
lillypit said:
I use nothing but DK on my knitting machine. The tension is the thing. Reset the tension dial to a very loose tension . On my empisal its the loosest there is - a ten on the dial.

I also have a couple of PDFs of basic family knits for machine knitting, if you'd like them. PM me with your email and I;ll send them.

Madkiwi

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Gurney said:
madkiwi, that's very encouraging - the nicest yarns are DK . How do you find enough MK patterns, though?
If I tell you, I'll have to kill you.

Seriously, I've surfed the internet , in particular ebay, and ebay international, for months looking for these particular books, which I remember from when I had my first knitting machine a million years ago.They offer stocking stitch only, but a wide variety of sizes, male, female, children, etc. Raglan or set-in sleeves, stitches, rows, ....

Fianally on KP some KP angel found them for me on ebay australia, and I bid and got them. I have some more to come. It means that I can make almost any garment, adding patterns as I choose. Its not hard to do cables, and one of my machines has a punchcard, which I'm ashamed to say I'm scared to try.

But if you want the PDFs PM me with your email and I'll oblige.

Madkiwi

·
Registered
346 Posts
madkiwi said:
I use nothing but DK on my knitting machine. The tension is the thing. Reset the tension dial to a very loose tension . On my empisal its the loosest there is - a ten on the dial.

I also have a couple of PDFs of basic family knits for machine knitting, if you'd like them. PM me with your email and I;ll send them.

Madkiwi
I am also struggling to find nice DK patterns for the machine in particular a mans vest for a larger size ie 42inc, most everything seems to be for women and in 4ply, would you extend the invite to me too pretty please

·
Registered
548 Posts
madkiwi said:
If I tell you, I'll have to kill you.

Seriously, I've surfed the internet , in particular ebay, and ebay international, for months looking for these particular books, which I remember from when I had my first knitting machine a million years ago.They offer stocking stitch only, but a wide variety of sizes, male, female, children, etc. Raglan or set-in sleeves, stitches, rows, ....

Fianally on KP some KP angel found them for me on ebay australia, and I bid and got them. I have some more to come. It means that I can make almost any garment, adding patterns as I choose. Its not hard to do cables, and one of my machines has a punchcard, which I'm ashamed to say I'm scared to try.

But if you want the PDFs PM me with your email and I'll oblige.

Madkiwi
I have several books such as these - please do remember that you will still need to do a guage swatch to match the tension whether you knit the garments in stocking stitch or add a different stitch design as this will, in most cases, alter the guage. Good luck and happy knitting.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
redgem said:
I am also struggling to find nice DK patterns for the machine in particular a mans vest for a larger size ie 42inc, most everything seems to be for women and in 4ply, would you extend the invite to me too pretty please
Sure thing! PM me your email. No sweat!

Madkiwi

·
Registered
10,206 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom