Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I've not done this before so would appreciate a little guidence from the more experienced please :)

Pattern requires 17-50g balls that are 80mtrs long

I like wool 100g balls that are 240mtrs long

They both knit up to the same tention so that is a bonus!

Do I buy the wool by the weight required or the total length of wool eg 9 balls to achieve the 850g weight or 6 balls to achieve the wool length?

·
Registered
19,648 Posts
Buy for the length - you will get a lighter garment, but you will have enough.

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
Are they both the same brand and dye lot? You'll have to watch for the dye lot more than the weight and length.

·
Registered
381 Posts
This is one of the reasons I like to shop at the three LYS in our area, they are always helpful when it is time to figure out how much, ease of use, and lots of other info about patterns and yarns.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
Be sure to check YOUR gauge with the yarn you chose. Even if the wrapper shows the same gauge, they will not necessarily be exactly the same size since one is 3 times longer than the other and only twice as much weight. Of course, that could be due to the material the yarns are made of - wool often weights less than acrylic of the same length

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom