Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to make this tubbie from Snuggles Project. And wanted to know if any one has ever used a fine gauge wire for the sides to make it a little stronger. I was thinking about adding the wire to every 5th or 6th row - like a life line - hoping it would help retain shape a little better so kitty could rest her head on the sides. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
81,341 Posts
It would no longer be machine washable if wire were incorporated into it.

The one I've made a few times is on Quanah's website. (The first one taught me that superwash wool does NOT felt!;)) I just throw them into the washer and dryer for cleaning. The felting makes the edges firm enough to hold up a kitty chin.

Lucy's Kitty Bed is on my 'to-do' list.

·
Registered
8,026 Posts
I made lots of bowls and kitty beds for my friends for Christmas this year. I first made the kitty bed for my own cat and found that if I doubled the yarn for the rim and sides and then used a single strand for the rest, it felted nicely and the sides held up better. I used Lions Brand fisherman wool yarn that I had on hand from a previous project and a large needle to knit (15 I think). I threw it in the washer to felt it, dried it in the dryer until damp, then "pulled" it back into the shape I wanted and allowed to air dry. Have washed and dried in this way many times for my own cat beds. Had to make a couple for my own cat as she is very finicky about the smell of her cat bed, so I made a couple for her so I can rotate them.

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
Another thing to consider with the wire, is that it will have ends (unless you find a way to weld/solder them together after putting it in) which can come out and poke poor kitty...

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
you could make two beds and fill with some pillow stuffing and sew together around the inside circle and at the top.that would give a firmer side and a nice soft bottom for kitty to sleep on

·
Registered
429 Posts
Lions brand makes a yarn with wire in it. I saw a sweater made with it and it looked good and had a nice feel, but not stiff.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Jessica-Jean said:
It would no longer be machine washable if wire were incorporated into it.

The one I've made a few times is on Quanah's website. (The first one taught me that superwash wool does NOT felt!;)) I just throw them into the washer and dryer for cleaning. The felting makes the edges firm enough to hold up a kitty chin.

Lucy's Kitty Bed is on my 'to-do' list.
I have made the Lucy cat bed- if you make the sides higher after felting you can turn them down and it provides a nice support for the cats head.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom