Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a wonderful place to knit! We are on the Outer Banks in Nags Head. Such a relaxing place to be. The beach hasn't been discovered by all the high rise builders yet. Yesterday I went to a lovely house on the main road that was called Knitting Addiction. Have not been in one so fully stocked and tastefully decorated. I would come here just to spend the afternoon in that place. After leaving there, I discovered Cloud Nine bead shop. I have just started knitting with beads through a Crafty class. This was like finding a gold mine and the owner was a wealth of information. She had all the name brands that Craftsy's Laura Nelkin recommended. I stocked up, as what I have been get while ordering through Ebay were not sized correctly (large beads with a high number and small beads with a low number) exactly the opposite of those used in the class. The weather here is beautiful, but I have to remember those beaches on the Gulf where people are without power and having to evacuate.
They need our prayers.
Betty

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
We spent part of our honeymoon on the Outer Banks, as well as our 1st anniversary. We have visited several times since then, but the last time was 15 years ago, just before our son was born. We had planned to go this summer on our way home from NJ, but DH got sick, and we had to get home instead.
Have you visited the National Park sites on the island? The Wright Brothers memorial is great, as is the lighthouse. Hope you enjoy your time there I'm just a little bit jealous! :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm jealous of your vacation spot. The Outer Banks are a dream destination. I live on the coast of South Carolina, but it's not the same. Have you seen any of the wild ponies? We have a band of them here called "Marsh Tackies". Enjoy the beach and do your knitting when you get home! Have a great vacation.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I haven't been to the Outer Banks since the mid-70s. That's one place I want to see again. We camped all the way up and took a week to do it. As rutledge said, it is far different from our touristy beaches.

Have a good time!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Welcome to NC! The Outer Banks are beyond beautiful -- so glad to learn there's a god knit sho there. Our mountans are beautiful, too.
Lyn in NC

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
My Grandaughter's husband recently passed all the requirements & tests and is now a CPA. He is beginning a new life and new job in Durham, NC and they just moved from Burlington, Vermont down to NC last week. My Grandaughter is 7 months pregnant with her second child and she knows she is starting a new life and the goal her husband and her have worked so hard for the past 4 years has finally arrived. Of course, she is very emotionally upset as she is leaving behind in Vermont her close knit family and all her siblings, and a Mom and Dad she has depended upon for all her life. My Mom was born and raised in Ashville, NC and I've told my GD that she is going to love living in NC where people still have maintained the morals, manners and friendliness of years gone by. Now I have another place to visit - LOL!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Amen to the report of manners and friendliness here in NC. When we moved here 7 years ago from California, I was amazed at how many people were just plain friendly. Neighbors wave to neighbors when pasiing in a car. No road rage. Just plain, hard-working honest people. I love it here!
Lyn in NC

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
When my children were little of course I taught them not to talk to strangers. Tried to, anyway. Then we'd be in the grocery store standing in line and the person in front of or behind me would strike up a conversation. The kids would ask after we left the store "Did you know that woman? Why were you talking to her, then?" It hasn't changed any, either. Thank goodness.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dalex1945 said:
Oh, I am so jealous. Wondering what you are knitting? And, can't stop thinking about and praying for the people along the Gulf coast today.
I am knitting a baby sweater, baby bib, practicing a cuff with beads for my Craftsy class, and casting on for another bear. My granddaughter just had her first baby (girl) yesterday and the baby is having trouble breathing so is in neonatal care. Keep her in your prayers. I will be going to see her next week. Hopefully will have the baby things finished.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Joan Thelma said:
My Grandaughter's husband recently passed all the requirements & tests and is now a CPA. He is beginning a new life and new job in Durham, NC and they just moved from Burlington, Vermont down to NC last week. My Grandaughter is 7 months pregnant with her second child and she knows she is starting a new life and the goal her husband and her have worked so hard for the past 4 years has finally arrived. Of course, she is very emotionally upset as she is leaving behind in Vermont her close knit family and all her siblings, and a Mom and Dad she has depended upon for all her life. My Mom was born and raised in Ashville, NC and I've told my GD that she is going to love living in NC where people still have maintained the morals, manners and friendliness of years gone by. Now I have another place to visit - LOL!
Joan Thelma--we moved to Raleigh from Essex Junction in 2001 and love it here! If your gd would like a local contact, PM me and we can talk.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Patricia Cecilia said:
Joan Thelma said:
Joan Thelma--we moved to Raleigh from Essex Junction in 2001 and love it here! If your gd would like a local contact, PM me and we can talk.
Thank you so much for your kind offer.

My Grandaughter, Michele, not only looks like me but has my personality (she loves talking to people). I have told her she will fit right in with all the people in North Carolina who are as friendly in nature as she is.

My Mom moved to New York State when she was only 21 and met my Dad who was from Canada. She ended up living in New York State until the day she passed away in her sleep at the age of 91. Every single Winter during all those years, she would always say "Whoever lives in NYS must be crazy"-LOL. In March, she would always remind us of what flowers were blooming in North Carolina while us New Yorkers were still looking at 6 feet of snow on the ground.

Her heart never left North Carolina. She went back there to her home in Ashville at least 3 times while she was still alive. EACH time, all her "kinfolk" PLUS neighbors and others held a giantic feast for her in her honor. I was brought up on Southern manners and their delicious way of cooking which I passed down to my family.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I want cheers and applause now, please. I just put my van back together after fixing the windshield wiper linkage which had given up the ghost. I think there is a certain cosmic humor in the way I read about knitting for a while and then about mechanics for a while. Four dollars and a few bruises and all is well.

·
Registered
807 Posts
At home in North Carolina. Live between Charlotte and Hickory. My parent went to Detroit Michigan on a honeymoon back in 1921. The family was here and we return every summer on train. Love it here we are blessed with beautiful mountains and some great beachs, not to forget about the outer banks. God is good and I am blessed. I have two grand children in the Raliegh area, a daughter and grandson in Wilmington. One defected to NJ. All is well as long as I can knit.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom