Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
can anyone tell me if there is a very lightweight vacuum cleaner. Having Arthritis makes it difficult to carry these vacuums.
I live in the UK, so any info. would be appreciated.

I just bought a Shark for my inlaws who are in their 80's because the one they were using was just too heavy. This is the third one I have bought and I absolutely love them. It does a great job sucking up all the dog hair in the carpet and the main part lifts away for ease of vacuuming the stairs.

I have just bought the Numatic HenryXtra, it only weighs 6.6kg, I to have arthritis and got this for that reason. It is lightweight and it has a very long cable so you don't have to keep unplugging it. It moves on wheels so follows you around at ease and it has great suction. It is a bit pricy but worth every penny. By the way if you want to buy a reusable bag for the hoover don't buy it from the shop where you buy the hoover as they charge anything from £12 to £21, go onto ebay and you will get one for about £5.99, a heck of a saving.
Sorry for going on so much lol.
helenna said:
can anyone tell me if there is a very lightweight vacuum cleaner. Having Arthritis makes it difficult to carry these vacuums.
I live in the UK, so any info. would be appreciated.

I have a Roomba Pet Series robot vac. It's a round disc. I programmed it to vacuum at 2a.m. I close the door to the room it's in so it doesn't wander all over the house, then empty its bin in the morning. It does a nice job but doesn't do steps.

helenna-You could check into a back-pack type vacuum. After I retired from the phone company, I went to work at Disneyland. I worked the graveyard shift in custodial, working mostly with heavy equipment but occasionally worked cleaning in the shops (floors, dusting, etc). We used back-pack vacuums. The canister was carried on your back with straps, just like a back-pack. It was not at all heavy and was, actually, pretty comfortable (I have some arthritis in my back and the vacuum never caused me any problems). It has a long hose and electric cord so you can move around pretty well and reach high up places. Doing stairs is a piece of cake!! These are heavy duty machines and we rarely had any problems with them. They work very well. You could probably find them at a janitorial supply store. Denise

helenna-No idea what size the motor is but they are pretty powerful (we were using the industrial models for janitorial use). You can probably imagine how much dirt, etc gets tracked onto the floors and carpets in the shops at Disneyland every day by the guests. It was amazing how clean these vacuums got the carpets. We vacuumed every night, including the nights when we cleaned the carpet. The dirty water from the carpet cleaner was dirty but not nearly as bad as you would expect. The back-pack vacuums would pull out the worst of the ground in dirt. If you Google/Yahoo search back pack vacuums you get a pretty good list of sites. Denise

I got a Roomba Pet Series as well as others on this site! I love it as it is a robot vacuum cleaner and fabulously efficient! I don!t know if Britain has been invaded by the superstore Costco yet but that is where I found the best price! I know that it is sold in Britain! Doesn't do stairs but is great for everything else, Just Google 'Roomba'.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom