Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have not knitted this dress and it is adorable but if you are a beginner knitter, I would not attempt this dress yet! I am 73 years old and have been knitting most of my life and I would say that this dress is at least an intermediate knitter level. If you try something now that is too difficult for you dear, it will only discourage you and you may stop knitting! There are so many lovely dresses that I could recommend to you if you like, that are more in you level right now,and by the time you have knitted a few of them, you may be ready to make this dress. Please pm me if you are interested.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Just checked out the site and am wowed by the patterns. Yawzer!!!! Lots of new choices. I checked out the abbreviations and symbols section and they identify ALOT of chart abbreviations leading me to think the pattern you cited is charted.

You indicated you're a beginner. The above advice re frustration is good. Having started knitting again after a 30 year hiatus I too consider myself a beginner. I've also learned about myself that if i fall in love with a pattern I'll persevere and tolerate the frustration. Making something I love with FABULOUS yarn is my passion. Of course I often go to you tube and my LYS for help. And with the Internet there are instructional sites as well.

So I say go for it!!! Try it. And if you're overwhelmed get help!! And if it's too much put it away to try another time when you've 'learned' the new technique. Enjoy the process!!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for replying and encouraging me. Following salmonmac's directions, I checked Ravelry and it does appear, based on the project pics, that the pattern is charted. Oh well. Too ambitious for me right now. :( I would have loved to try it.

·
Registered
11,084 Posts
Charts are not that hard to do, it mimics the way you knit, right to left---left to right. You have a small cheat sheet with the abbreviations & symbols for your stitches. Just something you might want to consider so you get beyond beginner status.
It's just one stitch at a time!

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
klrober said:
Charts are not that hard to do, it mimics the way you knit, right to left---left to right. You have a small cheat sheet with the abbreviations & symbols for your stitches. Just something you might want to consider so you get beyond beginner status.
It's just one stitch at a time!
I agree. You can also color code the different symbols on the chart and use a sticky note to hold your place. It's actually much easier than trying to read across a complicated series of written directions IMO.
Well, whenever you're ready to try it, we'll be here to help. Try a swatch first, just to see.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I say go for it. There are plenty of friends to help you right here if you get stuck. I'm amazed at the skill of these knitters and their ability to translate patterns into words that make more sense, even to a beginner.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
PeninaM said:
I have not knitted this dress and it is adorable but if you are a beginner knitter, I would not attempt this dress yet! I am 73 years old and have been knitting most of my life and I would say that this dress is at least an intermediate knitter level. If you try something now that is too difficult for you dear, it will only discourage you and you may stop knitting! There are so many lovely dresses that I could recommend to you if you like, that are more in you level right now,and by the time you have knitted a few of them, you may be ready to make this dress. Please pm me if you are interested.
Good advice, much better than "go for it."

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One of my fears is that I knit combined continental and I've never knit lace before, other than a swatch from a different pattern that went well. From this site and YouTube I've learned that SSK is Y2TOG and vice versa in combined continental. However, I don't even know how to do YO in combined continental--although I've looked at YouTube videos.

Another fear is the chart. I crochet a lot but almost never from a chart so I'm much more comfortable with written instructions.

I have knit ribbed belts so I have no problem with basic knit and purl--in combined continental. Still toying with attempting the pattern, which I really like, based on the encouragement here. You guys are the best!

·
Registered
680 Posts
I, too, knit Combined Continental. Charts are SO much easier, as they show a left-leaning decrease or a right-leaning decrease. You know how YOU do those, so there should be no confusion.

Do a swatch of a written-out pattern. Try "reading" your knitting -- then create a sample chart to replicate what you have "read." You will discover there is nothing scary about reading a chart, and that should give you more confidence.

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
Do be sure to buy the pattern for later use. Then you can practice the different stitches until you are ready to try it. Dish cloths are a great way to learn new stitches.
GuyLydig said:
Thanks all for replying and encouraging me. Following salmonmac's directions, I checked Ravelry and it does appear, based on the project pics, that the pattern is charted. Oh well. Too ambitious for me right now. :( I would have loved to try it.

·
Registered
635 Posts
As a beginner knitter many years ago, I really didn't know any better. I only knew I needed to knit a sweater for my daughter because I couldn't afford to purchase one. Don't be intimidated by "skill level". If you have patience and are persistent, you can do anything you set your mind to. Read and trust the pattern.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom