Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For Christmas I gave my boyfriend a skein of wool and a picture of the gloves I intended to make for him. I wanted to ensure a perfect fit, and the best way to do that is to have the eventual recipient try them on as you go so you can make adjustments on the fly. :)

I like this pattern a lot, but I made a number of changes to it in order to custom-fit the gloves to the recipient. I'm convinced that most of the alterations that I made would be required for the vast majority of people to get a good fit with this pattern as the fingers tend to be very big (as in wide) and the hand portion can resemble a flipper if you follow the pattern to the letter. Also, the pattern only gives explicit instructions for one glove. You have to reverse most of the pattern for the other one, so if you are not comfortable doing that then I would not recommend trying this pattern until you are, unless you are already proficient at making gloves. If you would like to know all the details about the adjustments I made for this pair you can read about them in my Ravelry project post: takdpm's Vintage Cabled Gloves

The pattern is available for free here: http://www.freevintageknitting.com/mittens/617-gloves-pattern.html

The yarn I used was Patons Classic Wool in Dark Grey Mix. I used all but a few yards of one skein. Without my modifications for fit it would have required more than a full skein. The first picture gives the truest representation of the color.
Hand Glove Vertebrate Safety glove Mammal
Glove Safety glove Gesture Grey Wood
Hand Outerwear Glove Sleeve Baby & toddler clothing

·
Registered
41,373 Posts
Thanks for doing all that trouble shooting. You ended up with a nice fit and I like the fingerless version. It is a pretty pattern. I agree that you have to try on as you go for a good fit.... My fingers are apparently longer than most because fingers never are comfortable. Yours both look terrific.

·
Premium Member
12,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dreamweaver said:
Thanks for doing all that trouble shooting. You ended up with a nice fit and I like the fingerless version. It is a pretty pattern. I agree that you have to try on as you go for a good fit.... My fingers are apparently longer than most because fingers never are comfortable. Yours both look terrific.
You're welcome, and thanks, Jynx! I have long fingers, too, so store-bought gloves rarely fit me well. By the time I find a pair with long enough fingers the gloves are so big that they gap at the wrist and let all the cold air in. :( It's nice to be able to custom-fit them to your hands. :)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom