Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Among the many things I collect is old china. I am attracted to the florals and the glazes and the shapes. Every so often I hit upon a garage sale like the one my husband and I found today: An entire garage filled with old china: plates, cups, bowls, pitchers. Really an overwhelming collection of china. A lot of orphans, some entire sets. Now, my dear husband has asked me NOT to bring home anymore china. And I have purged a great deal of it lately. So today I was very selective: one creamer, 4 dessert plates and a plate with a picture of Leda and the swan I think. And it is in shades of pink. The reason I keep buying these pieces is because I have a fantasy that SOMEDAY I want to have a tea party with all these pretty things. At least that is what I tell myself. I am wondering if any of you have a thing for old china. And if you do, please tell me why you are attracted to it. BTW: today was so HOT and Humid that I
think it prevented me from buying more. So that made DH happy. ; )
:sm16:

·
Registered
39,429 Posts
when I was very young I worked in a lovely china shop...My "glory box" was full of wonderful china.

I sold it all at a huge profit about five years back. Cup.saucer and plates that I had paid ten shillings for I sold for over $100. I avoided tea parties like the plague. LOL

·
Registered
21,089 Posts
I love old china but one drawback nowadays is that it should be hand washed. I once read an article about some well to do lady that was having about 24 ladies over for a light luncheon of salads and sandwiches so she proceeded to look at her plates and found some that did not match others etc., She decided to use all her salad plates, cups, saucers and vintage silverware, none of it matched!!!! But oh the conversation pieces, all the ladies were admiring her excellent choices in china and so her luncheon was a true success. Never know!!! :sm02: :sm02: :sm02: :sm02: :sm02:

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
I have been giving my God Daughter and niece tea cups and saucers and now desert plates. Every year my niece has a tea party for her birthday and I have been taking them to the Mrs. Santa Clause tea since they were both old enough to drink tea. Last year was the first year that our nephew was allowed to go and he really enjoyed it!

·
Registered
20,675 Posts
patocenizo said:
I love old china but one drawback nowadays is that it should be hand washed. I once read an article about some well to do lady that was having about 24 ladies over for a light luncheon of salads and sandwiches so she proceeded to look at her plates and found some that did not match others etc., She decided to use all her salad plates, cups, saucers and vintage silverware, none of it matched!!!! But oh the conversation pieces, all the ladies were admiring her excellent choices in china and so her luncheon was a true success. Never know!!! :sm02: :sm02: :sm02: :sm02: :sm02:
I collect restaurant ware and that's what I use on a daily basis. I mix and match. No two pieces are alike. I do the same with utensils. I've been collecting midcentury danish looking stuff for my niece. She loves it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
patocenizo, I love mid century Danish dishes also! I scored a set of Dutch Blue plates, bowls and cups last year that we use every day. They go from dishwasher to table to oven, too. When the kids were small, we used restaurant ware because we live near the old Oneida factory which is sadly no longer.

·
Registered
15,436 Posts
Ah, china which has to be hand-washed! My dishes are a maybe 50 yr old set of Corelle in gold butterfly. They go in the dishwasher, etc. One of these days they are going to start breaking (shattering is more like it) and I do occasionally break a piece. I have enough to last a long time, I hope.

Now, that said, I do have a very few pieces of real china, 4 saucers that I use as dessert plates when I need a lift of the spirit and a couple real china cups with cats on them. Again, when my mood needs them. I don't entertain, don't want to mess with doing things by hand, but will not soon part with these, either.

I love hearing about your beautiful pieces.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I also love old china and also crystal. I have a very tall and large antique china closet that has an 8 place setting of Spode china in the Pink Camelia pattern. It was sent piece by piece to my GM towards the end of the depression from a friend in Hawaii. Before it was a state. My GM took care of her father (kept house and coked for him). The lady's husband was a Dole executive. The crystal is America pattern. I don't use it much anymore but I really do love it so much. I also have lots of different old china. Enjoy your old china and crystal while you still can. Nancy

·
Registered
11,154 Posts
patocenizo said:
I had an entire dinner/tea set of old china that I gave to my granddaughter after many years of use. I always washed it in the dishwasher. It was over glazed so was not harmed.
My niece, on the other hand, had inherited a beautiful set manufactured in France, many years ago. Could have been Limoge. She had to hand wash it because it had a gold rim that was not glazed over.

·
Registered
17,788 Posts
I love the look, too. It's bulky if you have a ton of it. :sm24:

·
Registered
29,182 Posts
ouijian said:
I collect restaurant ware and that's what I use on a daily basis. I mix and match. No two pieces are alike. I do the same with utensils. I've been collecting midcentury danish looking stuff for my niece. She loves it.
Give me Homer Laughlin or Russel Wright and I am happy. Don't mind depression or Manhattan glass either. I had tons of this stuff until Ex-man sold it all without telling me. Mixing is cooler than matching. If the OP's husband wins this battle, let me know if you will be getting rid of stuff. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I only have one piece do to rv living, but I love old China, it has history, how many secrets has it heard, proposals has it seen, sorrows it has witnessed. Each peice has a story.

And those stories are only what we imagine or dream or wish for.

Jan

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
I couldn't believe the price when I saw a complete set of beautiful vintage china marked $10 at a yard sale so I asked the owner if $10 was correct. She replied it sure was and she couldn't wait to get rid of it because the set was a wedding gift to her grandparents about a hundred years ago, she didn't know why her mother had kept it all these years and now that her mother was dead and buried she was getting rid of all her old junk!

It depends on the person's viewpoint, I guess.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
tatesgirl said:
I couldn't believe the price when I saw a complete set of beautiful vintage china marked $10 at a yard sale so I asked the owner if $10 was correct. She replied it sure was and she couldn't wait to get rid of it because the set was a wedding gift to her grandparents about a hundred years ago, she didn't know why her mother had kept it all these years and now that her mother was dead and buried she was getting rid of all her old junk!

It depends on the person's viewpoint, I guess.
I love "vintage" china (my wedding gifts) and crystal too--plus newer seasonal sets for Christmas, autumn, etc. My daughter has (but rarely uses) set from my MIL
and I don't think my granddaughters are interested in the things I have--so my fear is that they will be disposed of like above example. I guess once I am gone, I shouldn't care--just hope some true lover of the items finds it at a sale and USES IT. That is one thing I add....I do use these things, and though I don't entertain as often as I did in past, I love setting a great table!

·
Registered
20,675 Posts
saukvillesu said:
I love "vintage" china (my wedding gifts) and crystal too--plus newer seasonal sets for Christmas, autumn, etc. My daughter has (but rarely uses) set from my MIL
and I don't think my granddaughters are interested in the things I have--so my fear is that they will be disposed of like above example. I guess once I am gone, I shouldn't care--just hope some true lover of the items finds it at a sale and USES IT. That is one thing I add....I do use these things, and though I don't entertain as often as I did in past, I love setting a great table!
I've got my grandmother' silver from Mexico. There are a few pieces missing. It's so heavy that you get a workout while eating dinner. I don't use it every day but it is gorgeous. My everyday utensils are also old mix and match. I'm also a fan of old cast iron.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Tea parties are very popular for bridal showers right now. I was just helping my sister plan one and vintage tea cups and saucers seem to be a little pricier now because of it.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
I love them too. Bought almost a full set at auction. Only missing the teapot. Searched for one for 6 years, never found one. Came to clear house to move here, I sold the whole set on ebsy for 5 times what I paid just 7 years earlier!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom