·
Registered
11,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
11,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"Recently I was looking through the book For The Love of Knitting, which includes many pictures of vintage knitting patterns and books, and I noticed that one of the illustrations was of a Fleisher yarn company ad from 1921. The ad included a complete pattern for a very cute drop-stitch sweater, which it claims takes “less than two days’ time”! Now, here’s the neat thing — anything published pre-1923 is in the public domain in the United States. So this ad and the knitting pattern it contains are in the public domain (probably why the book included it). So I’m reprinting the 1921 pattern here for anyone who is interested."
From Slumberland.org-Wendy's blog.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Stablebummom said:
Stablebummom said:
Very pretty and easily could be worn today!

http://scoobydeb.hubpages.com/hub/Daffodil-Sweater-with-Vest-in-Color-Knitting
Here's another partially translated to modern knitting terms. This author believes the yarn is probably a sport weight.

http://slumberland.org/wp/2007/11/13/pattern-diane-sweater-from-1921/
Yes, the pattern calls for Fleisher Shetland Floss for that sweater, and so the shetland Floss called for in the Daffodil sweater is probably that same one.

I saw a note there that Ravelry believes it to be a sport weight yarn.
Pity is I don't see a needle size mentioned! Did they only have _one size needles available? Hard to believe!
As for gauge:
The Daffodil sweater mentions that the width of the lower band is 44 inches, with a cast on of 60 stitches for the Left Front. Problem is I don't yet see a cast on for Right Front ( I assume it's the same as for the Left) or Back. Yikes!
The band rows are to be repeated for 3 inches, and that 28 rows were worked for that length, so we can try to figure out the total cast on for the band to figure out a gauge! And what yarn and needles we can use to achieve that! Yay!

I've had to edit this a couple of times. Not my clearest thinking today, due to lack of sleep. Fuzzy thinking! So I probably missed out something somewhere, like the instructions for the Left Front, and Back...

And thanks Camilla for pointing out the downloadable pdf. I had missed it too!

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Looked at this pattern again, just now, and it seems to be that the sweater is knitted top down, which befuddles my poor mind figuring how many stitches to the inch (stitch count around body is unclear to me)
It's not the clearest instruction I've ever seen, lol!

I would love to knit this! But I think I might just adapt the main features to a similar type pattern, using the flower graph of course.

Just not today! I'll wait until I've had more sleep and can think more clearly, lol!

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom