Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I should use a lifeline when knitting lace, but I have been lucky so far. Well last night I had a shawl half finished when I made a mistake. I ended up having to rip out the whole thing. Would like suggestions on how often I should place a lifeline.

·
Registered
15,399 Posts
I tend to place a life line on every 5th row. Sometime ever 2 rows. It all depends on the type of pattern. Good luck, I know that my life lines have saved me a lot of time just this week...

·
Registered
423 Posts
I agree with Galaxycraft. It would depend on how much you are willing to rip out. The more difficult the pattern, the more often I put in a lifeline. Of course most of the time if I remember to put in a lifeline, then I won't need it!

·
Registered
6,479 Posts
It is a matter of personal preference, BUT I most frequently insert lifelines at the end of a pattern sequence. In cases of many-rowed patterns, I've been known to lifeline after every 2-4 rows. The main thing is: How many rows would you be comfortable putting back on a needle if it became necessary?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am going to give my two cents on this one, I would put a life line in on a row that was either all knit or purl, if there is one. These are so much easier to pick up. When knitting lace and I need to tear out I rip to the row that is all the same or has the fewest YO and so forth. Darby.

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
knyghtmare said:
how do you all put in lifelines? I have done a couple and I just took a tapestry needle and run it through the stitches of the row to preserve. How does every one else do it?
I use a tapestry needle and feed through as you do. Even though I use the interchangeable needles, I forget to use the hole to carry the lifeline along.

When I use lifelines, I put them in at the beginning/end of a pattern row repeat. That way, I can also find where I am in the directions. I've noticed, though, that I don't use lifelines anymore, because I use stitch markers between pattern repeats across the row, and I count each repeat on the purl back row. If there is a mistake, I find it immediately, and can correct it immediately. I haven't had to rip back since I started that method - yet when I was using lifelines, there was usually at least two rip backs in each project....

·
Registered
442 Posts
Beth Standing said:
I am sorry but what is a lifeline?
a life line is a separate lenght of yarn of a different color that you insert into the stitches so that if you have to frog (rip out) any of your pattern then the stitches are saved on the extra yarn and it is easier to put them back on your needle. kinda like a stitch holder that stays in your project til the end. then you pull the lifeline out and your project is finished. hope that helps. i'm sure some of the more expierenced knitters have a clearer explanation.

·
Registered
181 Posts
maryellen 60 said:
I know I should use a lifeline when knitting lace, but I have been lucky so far. Well last night I had a shawl half finished when I made a mistake. I ended up having to rip out the whole thing. Would like suggestions on how often I should place a lifeline.
I do one after the pattern repeat, and more if really involved, it can be bothersome to put the life line in but when you do its wonderful

·
Registered
360 Posts
Gemfire said:
I agree with Galaxycraft. It would depend on how much you are willing to rip out. The more difficult the pattern, the more often I put in a lifeline. Of course most of the time if I remember to put in a lifeline, then I won't need it!
That's a good thing. Something like paying for insurance you never use. You're just grateful you never had to use it.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
maryellen 60 said:
They are usually put in every 10 rows. Use stitch markers to define pattern repeats, too, and then count each repeat on the reverse side back, you find errors much easier that way and can fix them much sooner.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
AT the beginning or end of a pattern repeat. These are usually an all or nearly all k or p row. It's easier to remember where you are when you use the pattern repeats as a marker.

·
Registered
20,519 Posts
maryellen 60 said:
I always place a lifeline after the last row of every pattern repeat, whether it be 4 rows or 40.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom