Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Knitting machines are very pricey even used ones. Good luck in your search. Personally I would start out with a step up from and incredible knitting machine. Like a brother 350 or something like that. When you decide let me know as I have one of those for sale. I have a few machines for sale.

Here is a link that may help you. http://www.yarn-store.com/selecting-your-knitting-machine.html

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
There are various machine knitting clubs in Michigan. If you visit one of them you will be able to see what can be done on various machines and what the ladies are knitting.
Check out this site for some locations:
http://machineknitpensacola.net/otherclubs.html#Michigan

There is even a real machine knitting store in Michigan...maybe not close to you but at least in the same state.
http://www.yarns-and.com

I am sure the owner would be happy to talk about knitting machines with you and help you find the one to suit you and your budget. Many of us buy a used machine from a dealer/store because of the good quality of the machine, the lower price, and when you buy from a dealer she makes sure all the parts are included and are in working order.

Here in North Carolina there is not a machine knitting store in the whole state!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hello!
I am located in the Milford, Mi area and have several punchcard machines for sale. I have some standard gauge for sale $200 - $300, and a complete bulky set up for $550, which would use worsted weight yarns. Give me a call 248 330 8783 Cherida

·
Registered
245 Posts
The main determining factor here is what type of yarn you want to use. Standard gauge machines use a finer yarn, mid gauge machines use hand knitting weights, double knit to slightly heavier, and bulky machines use worsted and heavier yarns.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
First- you want a metal bed machine with a knitleader, that reads punchards. SInger 700 is one of the best and is reasonably priced. Daiseyknits has one for $300 and she only sells machines that have been cleaned and work. SHe has a cheap Profile 552 and 553 for $50 which has a metal bed, but I assume does only basic knitting. Brothe 881 or 891 would be another choice for a sturdy machine that has all the above. The 891 would cost more than the 881. Perhaps Cherdichat has one of those is good condition.
Watch Youtube videos so you can see what they do.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I'm new to machine knitting and will share my experience. I wanted to knit, but had no experience. All I did was because of ignorance. I began with needles... too slow. Then moved on to knitting with looms. Inexpensive ones that I bought at Walmart. Made a few scarves and hats. Wanted to make socks for those and bought an assortment of wooden looms especially made for socks. I wanted more and looms are limited. Bought a circular sock knitting machine (VERY expensive because they are antique and scarce). Looking for instructions, went to You Tube - made beautiful socks. Again, limited. I saw flat knitting machines on YouTube. BINGO! I got a Bond Knitting machine which are plastic but it didn't work so well because it had a defect preventing the carriage to run through the bed so I returned it.

Found AllBrands on the Internet and bought an LK150. Now we're talking, I thought. All the machine does is knit on one side and purl on the other. I wanted more variety, so I got Susan Guagliumi's book on manipulating stitches. On this madhine all other stitches have to be manipulated on the machine one by one. I made a sweater - I thought all you had to do was drag back and forth and magically a sweater would come out. Didn't realize that I had to start small. Eventually, with Guagliumi's book and DVD I was able to make stuff my family liked.

Then I saw Diana Sullivan of Austin, Texas on YouTube and it was like a new world of knitting opened before my eyes. It was like magic. On one metal bed knitting machine with a ribber she was doing automatically, with one push of the knitting carriage what would take much longer on the LK by hand. She has hours and hours of lessons, organized, clear, concise, FREE.

I started looking for the same machines that she has. Now I have Brother 930 with ribber. This is an electronic machine with a computer that you use for slecting the different stitches. And I have a Brother 270 with a ribber, also has a computer for the stitches. I'M HAPPY! All I need now is a portable machine for when I travel to see my grandchildren and greatgrandchildren in Florida and Tennessee. I have my eyes on getting a Studio MK70, which doesn't have a computer and you have to manipulate the stitches but it will do for travel.

My point is: research, research, research before you spend your money. Go to different dealers, if there are any in your state, look at ebay, shopgoodwill.com, craigslist, etc. so that you learn the prices out there. There are many good deals if you look carefully.

Here are some site for research:
WHICH KNITTING MACHINE
scanthecat.com
The entire site is very good. I looked at this section before buying my Brothers: scanthecat.com/html/bnro_machines.html

www.aboutknittingmachines.com/aboutknittingmachines.php
I wish I had seen this website the first day I started looking for a machine. Well, sigh, at least I can share it AND the site has manuals for free that cost a pretty penney on ebay and elsewhere. I put these manuals in my ibook ap in the iphone so all the info is available at the touch of my fingers.

also try: www.yarns-and.com/KMtable.htm

PATTERNS

·
Registered
800 Posts
OOPS! I hit send before spell check and finishing.

Here is a website for FREE patterns.
www.needlesofsteel.org.uk/
Every pattern you can think of is here whether your machine is Bond, or metal bed, and for different gauge machines.

And an interesting webiste: knittingmachinemuseum.com

And, subscribe to this group. I look at new postings every morning. You will learn so much.

Also I'm subscribed to the free tips and tricks given by knititnow.com

Also, subscribed to some knitting machine newsgroups at yahoo.

Hope this isn't overwhelming. Didn't mean to scare you - just to keep you from making the mistakes I made.

Rest assured, this is the most rewarding hobby anyone could ever have. It could be making you money too.

Happy thoughts,
Moritta

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thank you for taking the time to chronicle your KM journey. It is very similiar to my own. I've learned even while sometimes feeling alone, we never are because the KM family here on YP is so helpful and knowledgeable. I only wish I had read your information sooner. Would have saved me a lot of time and money. Also, to Bambi, have fun and most of all, enjoy!
Jo Ann

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sooooo, me too. My kids are threatening to disown me if I buy any more yarn or machines. Now all I need is some room to get it set up and going. There's only so much room in a small one-bedroom apartment. I don't cook much anymore, maybe I can turn the kitchen into a KM studio? If only I could. We'll have to keep track of how each of us is getting on with this wonderful new addiction.
Jo Ann

·
Registered
166 Posts
bambiperry said:
I really would like to get a knitting machine but have never used one and know nothing about what to get. I can't spend a lot but don't want something that's going to break or givee a bunch og grief! :) Suggestions?
I have knitting machines for sale. send me a private message, and I will tell you what I have.
MB from Georgia

·
Registered
582 Posts
Hi there...so you want a buy a knitting machine! Good for you!!!
As a former knitting machine manager/instructor of a huge fabric/yarn mill store, I would suggest starting off with a "bulky" machine first. This machine is easy to work with as it takes a 4 ply yarn (best to start with) or any other bulky yarn...This machine is great for Sweaters. shawls, scarfs, etc.

Knitting machines are expensive so I would suggest looking for a used one on eBay or Craig's List to start off with.
Start combing the Salvation Army, thrift stores, etc.in your area.
Or you can start with a regular knitting machine (200 needle bed) which makes regular sweaters, socks, etc. that uses a 2 ply yarn...because the yarn is finer, it is
a little harder to work with (takes nimble fingers)

There are new electronic machines that are on the market now, more expensive, but does a lot more for computer creating designs.

I worked on manual machines during the 80-90's so I did not have too much experiance on these machines as they were just coming outl

Once you've mastered a bulky, you can then proceed to a regular or electronic machine.

When I sold a knitting machine at the store, it came with a 3 hour knitting lesson.(1 hr. for 3 days) The first lesson was making a hat! The second lesson was learning technics
and starting a sweater of your choice..the 3rd was learning how to put it together on the machine and reviewing with questions and answers of the customer's choice.

When I left the mill store, the mill store closed their knitting machine dept. It is hard to find an instructor to demonstrate/sell knitting machines.

I still have a Singer bulky, a Singer Hobby knitter (bought at Salvation Army for $35) which is like a "toy"knitter", but uses all the same principals as a regular knitter, a Brothers regular knitter and the ribbing machine.

None of the knitting machines come with a ribber machine. The ribber machine attaches to the bottom of the reguar machine and it make the ribbing of a sweater.. it knits and purls the hems for sweaters, cuffs etc.

I hope I've given you some information about the knitting machines.... they are a lot of fun, but can be frustrating (when dropping or losing stitches) but you will feel so proud when you make your first garment on it!!

I also compiled a booklet on how to knit a basic sweater in sizes 1 to 50, round neck or v-neck.. esp. for beginners, It is the EASIEST booklet to follow and learn on..and a few knitting machine instructors ordered a dozen or so to sell in their stores.

I've been way from machine knitting for many years, but still have a large inventory or these booklets, as well as coned yarn for the knitting machine.

It is the instructor/teacher you find that will make you enthusiatic or give up on the knitting machine.

If there are any questions you have, pls. feel free to email me at [email protected] and will be happy to answer them.

Good luck and let me know how you make out.

Shirls Purls

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom