Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished that Queen Size Afghan for my Granddaughter , Jessie's, boyfriend. I have heard on here that you don't have to block anything made with Acrylic Yarn that is washable and dryable. Is this true? I would like to wash this and dry it before I give it to him, to make sure it doesn't fall apart. lol Only partly kidding. I hope to get them to take a picture of it and if I can figure out how to get it on here I will do it. I would like everyone to see it, as everyone helped me with it. haha
I had to really rush at the last, as I am going to Texas this coming Sunday, Feb. 5th to see my son. It was touch and go for awhile. I was going great guns and my cable broke. That set me back at least half a day. I lost at least 4 rows at 190 stitches to a row. I worked an hour and a half trying to get the stitches back on the same row, made a mess of it, ended up with 200 stitches, trying to make sure I didn't miss any. lol And I still missed several. I don't know where the extra ones came from. Anyway, I gave up and started tearing back, messed that up and then finally got to a point where I could see all the stitches and after cheering for that, finally got the new cable and needles inserted, 4 rows back, and about 3 or 4 hrs. of work. I could have knitted 10 rows in that time. Oh well, it was fun all the way except for that. The cable broke right at the needle. Well not the needle, it was the part that screws into the needle. I was furious!! I was at least 3/4 done and like I said running out of time. I just finished weaving ends about half an hour ago, 11:30 PM, and that was after Knitting all day one day and all night too. From 9AM until 10AM the next day. That was after the cable incident, but of course I had breaks in there. I have a craft matic bed that was my Mom's, and I get in that thing, crank it up and knit away. No shoulder aches, neck aches, or head aches. It's great, but really hard to get in and out with a queen size blanket folded up on you with needles in it. lol
I'm also hoping to send some pics of some of the other things I made for Xmas. I counted up, 11 hats, 8 scarves, a purse, and a Tote Bag, which I now need to put a liner in. Hopefully before I leave too. That was all from late September or early October until Xmas. I started learning in Sept. from a video I bought " I can't believe I'm Knitting" with Melissa Leapman. It's a pretty good beginners video, but now I need to learn some of the harder things.
Really need to know now about the washing and blocking. If anyone can tell me, it will be greatly appreciated as always. Sue

· Registered
5,665 Posts
I work mainly with acrylic yarn - because it is machine washable and dryable and doesn't cause allergy problems.

I never have had to worry about blocking the acrylic.

· Registered
4,404 Posts
Personally I would put it on wool wash in the machine and then dry out in the fresh air. If not I would have it dry cleaned even though it is acrylic. My parents God love them are 88 ad 89 they have two so they would need to dry clean as they cannot possible wash them in the machine or by hand.

· Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, and thanks. I'm going to Borger Texas. It's in the upper Panhandle, as you probably know. I hope to be there about a month, if I don't get too bored. He will be working and no other car, so---. I am taking as much as my yarn and things as I can, so at least I will have that to keep busy. Thanks again for the advice.

· Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for your timely and very good advice on washing the blanket. I did wash it and it turned out very well. I had one little "end" poking out, but tied it off and worked it back into the stitches and hid it nicely. Yes, I did slow spin it and slow washed it.
I usually only drink one cup of coffee in the mornings, but have to admit, I did drink a little more on my "all nighter" of knitting. lol It was kind of fun. This old woman still has a little something left in her. haha I didn't get that picture yet. Hope I get that taken care of before I leave. Gary loved the blanket, and couldn't thank me enough. He is so sweet. He'd probably also have a cow to hear me describe him that way. lol
Thanks again to all of you. See you back here when I get back home. My son doesn't have a computer, so unless they have a Library with some I can use, I'm out of luck. Sure will miss all of you on the Forum. Sue

· Registered
3,764 Posts
I wash mine in Woollite even acrylics. I usually don't have to block them. Especially when I use Redheart yarn. If the edges curl, just steam them lightly. too much will kill the yarn and it will stretch and not go back. Use permanent press cycle, cold wash and rinse. Have fun on your trip!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom