Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please just how to. No allergies just how do you if you have. And what is the best way. Thanks all. I went searching and in every topic the subject veered to allergies.

·
Registered
19,648 Posts
Are you refering to yarn (hank or skein) or a knitted garment?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay so while I was waiting I came up with an idea. I found a hangar see below, bent it out of shape wound the yarn around it, washed and threw in the dryer. Its Knit-Cro-Sheen yarn which I think is pressable so I pressed it out right on the hangar. Next I will wind in on to a daisy wheel. I am crocheting a hat and the waves made it impossible to see the stitches. The wool works fine on the knitting needles without washing.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
LIGHTLY steaming the yarn...not too close if acrylic or other man-made included material. About a 'press' setting. Wave it gently like you would when calming bees. Let the wind carry the warmth and smog onto the yarn.

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
Jessica-Jean said:
http://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/jp-coats-knit-cro-sheen-size-10
100% cotton
You are BAD! If I didn't have to restrict my wants and projects! <G>

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
Jessica-Jean said:
kaixixang said:
Jessica-Jean said:
100% cotton
:?: What?! What'd I say? What's up? :shock:
If you noticed the <G> after my statement...I'm telling you that you are seriously tempting me. No anger was being expressed.

·
Premium Member
81,063 Posts
kaixixang said:
Jessica-Jean said:
kaixixang said:
Jessica-Jean said:
100% cotton
If you noticed the <G> after my statement...I'm telling you that you are seriously tempting me. No anger was being expressed.
OK. No anger. I still don't see how posting that the fiber in question is indeed cotton might 'tempt' you. Tempt you to what?

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
Jessica-Jean said:
kaixixang said:
Jessica-Jean said:
kaixixang said:
Jessica-Jean said:
100% cotton
OK. No anger. I still don't see how posting that the fiber in question is indeed cotton might 'tempt' you. Tempt you to what?
Potential purchase problem. I have some supplies here and in storage...before I'm allowed to get any more 'stash' items. I have to finish making shawls and socks. Basically I have to finish what I have and SELL the completed work before I can go for the just-bookmarked URL you supplied. Mom and Dad are making me work for my own yarn/thread supplies. Considering that I WANT Cashmere and other more expensive yarns...they're correct in doing so.

·
Premium Member
81,063 Posts
If you need crochet cotton ... It's bulky but light-for-its-size. PM me if you want to 'shop' my stash. (Free, of course!) Lord knows there's no chance I'll ever work with 99% of the crochet thread I have. The Speed-cro-sheen I do use, but the rest - all finer than it - are just taking up space. I'd like nothing better than to mail it off to where it'll be used!

And there's no need to bookmark that url on Ravelry. Ravelry isn't a store, just a database whose information is only as accurate as entered by various of the over a million Ravelers.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I spin wool, alpaca and mohair and a mixture of other fibres for knitting and crochet.
After spinning and plying the wool I wind it into skeins and then loosely tie the skein in about five places around the skein.
Then I dunk the skeins in tepid water - just off cold - not really hot.
then carefully lift them out of the water place all the skeins on a length of broom handle - I then place the handle horizontally between two supports out in my back garden so that the skeins are suspended up off the ground and allow the skeins to drip dry. I then pass another length of broom handle (1 inch dowel is fine for this purpose)then I also suspend a bucket which is about 1/3rd full of water from the middle of the lower dowel - this just adds the right amount of weight to the wool to take out any kinks but it doesn't stretch the wool.
This same method can be used for yarn which has been unravelled from old sweaters etc. as it removes all the kinks in the yarn which have been 'set' in place in the previous garment.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Ainslie.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jessica-Jean said:
kaixixang said:
Jessica-Jean said:
kaixixang said:
Jessica-Jean said:
100% cotton
ROTFLMAO :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I have had this problem before. A quick solution is frog the yarn directly from the knitted garment, take a damp (not soaked) facecloth or towel, pull it over the kinked yarn and then knit directly, or rewind. It won't be too wet to knit with and it will straighten out enough so you can see your stitches.

·
Banned
13,778 Posts
msdotsy1 said:
Jessica-Jean said:
kaixixang said:
Jessica-Jean said:
kaixixang said:
Jessica-Jean said:
100% cotton
ROTFLMAO :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I was giggling, too! :lol: :oops: :lol:

·
Premium Member
20,094 Posts
kaixixang said:
LIGHTLY steaming the yarn...not too close if acrylic or other man-made included material. About a 'press' setting. Wave it gently like you would when calming bees. Let the wind carry the warmth and smog onto the yarn.
Great way of explaining how to steam!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom