Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a skein of hand spun yarn in my stash. I bought it a while ago and I didn't have a project in mind for it when I bought it. I just liked the colours and the fact that someone had put so much love and attention into spinning the skein.

I can't spin - even though I've tried on a friend's spinning wheel.
So I really appreciate the work that someone put into producing this single skein.
Has anyone else knit with hand spun yarn and are there any suggestions about other projects I could make? I have quite a lot of yarn left as it is so fine.

And it has been gorgeous to knit with.
Just posting a picture of the WIP and the colours.

I have a few more pictures here of the Waves scarf.

http://www.roydmooryarns.com/My-Little-RMY-World.html

This is my first time knitting with hand spun yarn and I really love it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
kgiles326 said:
Which pattern did you use? I entered "Waves Scarf" into Ravelry and got a gazillion hits and they all look different.
I made up the pattern myself. I haven't added it onto Ravelry yet, but will probably add it on in the next few days.

If it's of help, this is basically the pattern.....

Cast on 59sts ( used 2.75mm needles)

Work 6 rows in garter stitch to form the edge. Then, for the next 10 rows, work in stockinette stitch, 1 row of knit, next of purl.

You can slip the 1st stitch on each row if you prefer, but I generally just knit the first stitch tightly.

Then, for the next row, instead of a knit row, do a purl row and complete 10 rows stockinette so that it ends up a reverse stockinette.

The stockinette and reverse stockinette will make the scarf lie flat, especially after blocking and then it won't curl inwards.

Along my waves scarf, I would do sections of either 10 rows, 8 rows or 12 rows of stockinette, depending on how the colours were changing.

I have been really pleased with how it's working out.
It's still a WIP as I'm going to make it really long. The yarn is very soft and will be gorgeous to wrap round and round as an autumn scarf.

Hope this is of some help,
Hen

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
Your scarf is lovely. Then I went to your website and fell madly in love with your hand dyed yarns. My hubby and I are planning a trip to Yorkshire next spring so he can see the small town (Bingley, not far from Leeds I believe) from which his grandfather emigrated to the US in the early part of the last century. I would love to visit your farm and buy some yarn while we are in the UK. Would that be possible? If so would you PM me and let me know where you are located? I would appreciate that very much.
Ellie

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom