Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, it's so cool (giving my age away here) to see so many people from all over. I live in San Antonio Tx so we're kind of low on yarn. Hooray for the Internet, I buy a lot online. If I buy something I don't care for it becomes a One Skein Wonder" book candidate. I've been an off again, on again knitter but have finally given in and now knit all the time. My passion is shawls and being in a Prayer Shawl Ministry gives me a special reason to knit.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi and welcome! I am fairly new here, too. I have knitted caps for the Hope House here in Harrison. Found they were needed when I took some and asked. It is a day homeless center that feeds and counsels for employment and finds places and help to live. So many veterans of the latest wars come home needing help for different things.
Also some of my church knits and crochets blankets for a Pregnancy Crisis Center.
Your prayer shawl ministry is great; it is so comforting to know people care when there is illness or loneliness or other problems. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for a great idea. Being in San Antonio we unfortunately have a large homeless community and we have several military bases/posts as well so there's a big need. Brooke Army Medical Center is here so we have a large wounded warrior community as well.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Welcome, there are many great causes to knit or crochet for no matter where we are. I find myself wanting to help them all, but am trying to force myself to concentrate on one or two.
Curious, you said not a lot of yarn down there and you had to get it online, I'm assuming no local yarn stores? What about Michaels, JoAnn's or Hobby Lobby?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hi and welcome .I live in Quebec Canada in the summer and Donna Texas for the winter. I know what you mean about shortage of yarn. I bring down a whole lot of yarn when I head to Texas .There are no local yarn stores in the area.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi And Welcome (im New here too). I love the idea of knitting and giving it away to a local charity! What a great idea. I usually knit gifts and give them as presents or just knit something for someone and give it to them. I started changing the way I knit and started knitting dishcloths and stuff like that, that I could use to bless my home with. I LOVE the idea of knitting shawls....hats and whatnot. I tried to find out if I could knit baby hats for our local hospital and they declined due to allergens. Good Ideas!!!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom