Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to start a wedding shawl for my granddaughter who will marry next summer and love the PurlBee Bamboo Wedding shawl but it calls for 2 skeins of Habu Bamboo yarn and its a bit out of my price range. Has anyone made this with a different yarn? I've looked for other bamboo yarns in fingering weight and can't find any.

Thanks,
Noreen

Attachments

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was the first place I looked, and several commented that they picked the wrong yarn. I definitely want it to be fingering weight, nothing heavier as we are in the south, but Habu yarn is $60 a skein.....just can't go that!

Noreen

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Bamboo yarn s t r e t c h e s if not mixed with another fiber like cotton or silk. I suggest that you find another pretty yarn that is in your price range. A blend of alpaca and silk should be less costly and still have the elegant shine. Be sure to get the same size yarn as pattern calls for, or make allowances. I would think that the bride would love having/wearing a shawl made by you but you might want to check pattern just in case. Only reason I say that is that there have been many posts here venting on knitted gifts not worn, leaving the knitters upset. A loving gift!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Get a ball of Paton's Bamboo Silk,,, it sells for 6.49 at JoAnn's,,, give or take depending on where you live. It knits up well,,, is lightweight and has a beautiful sheen. Knit up a swatch and see what you think. It comes in a lovely cream color as well. SMILE

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
I started it for my Niece, and used Baby Bernet Baby Sport yarn since her wedding is towards the end of Sept here in Michigan. I thought it would be a bit warmer for her. The pattern is easy to do.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
tvarnas said:
If you go directly to Habu, the lace weight is $18.95 for 100grams, 578 yards. Not sure why it is so expensive at Purl Bee.
Wow!!! I'll check this out! I have some of the Paton's Woops....misread the Paton's yarn, haven't used their Bamboo, but will check it out!
Thanks everyone...

Noreen

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have recently made this shawl & just last week I finished blocking it. I too found the yarn called for expensive but my LYS had some lovely 100% superwash Merino , 900 yards by Louette. I needed two but he price was more affordable. The 900 yards was perfect & didn,t even have a single knot in it. the 2nd one only had 1 knot. I thought that was amazing for that amount of yarn.The price for each 900 yds.was $30.00. & the store wound it for me into a large cake. The shawl turned out beautifully.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Helen.....I thought maybe I might have to go to a wool or wool blended with silk yarn.....your yarn sounds nice!

Noreen

·
Registered
31,502 Posts
katkarma said:
I would like to start a wedding shawl for my granddaughter who will marry next summer and love the PurlBee Bamboo Wedding shawl but it calls for 2 skeins of Habu Bamboo yarn and its a bit out of my price range. Has anyone made this with a different yarn? I've looked for other bamboo yarns in fingering weight and can't find any.

Thanks,
Noreen
Ladybeetle made a shawl using satin bamboo silk Halcyon yarn. Go to the Aug.25 KP to see a picture. This yarn might be a bit less expensive.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom