Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have these really thin needles, which I think are the problem, but then, how does anyone use them? They have to workable right? I began two nights ago and only had an hour or so's try.

I can cast on, I can do a few on that side, then transferring it, the video makes it look simple, but for some reason either I can't grasp what goes where and when I just wing it after watching the video they trying, the second needle I'm transferring to just becomes all tight so I can't even manoeuvre it anymore! :evil: :oops:

What the heck am I doing wrong? I feel like a child and it's really frustrating me. Now I am going to order some thicker needles (you can see my needles in my avatar) and thicker wool on Friday (payday), but I want to persevere with this until then, I want to learn and I know it's not impossible. I must be doing something wrong.

I've used this instruction video from KnittingHelp.com

http://www.knittinghelp.com/video/play/how-to-knit-basics-beginner-tutorial-part-1 which is a great video,

But when she transfers the needles I can't tell exactly where she is going. I am a bit stupid when it comes to co-ordination (English is my thing) but when it comes to directions and orientation I'm not so good, which I think is what is stopping me getting this. I don't know if anyone can help, maybe just encourage. :oops:

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I taught myself to knit using Youtube and three different beginner books. Sounds like your thin needles are the main problem. Do you know of anyone who would loan you thicker ones? Keep at it, you CAN do it!

·
Registered
769 Posts
If your stitches get tighter every row, it is often that your tension on your yarn is too tight. Each stitch gets harder to wrangle until you you have no wriggle room at all.

I would try experimenting with how you hold your yarn until you find a way that is comfortable, you don't want crampy hands and that allows the yarn to feed through your fingers so a stitch worth slides through as you make each new stitch.

Don't worry too much about mimicing every aspect of the tutorials you watch. The important bit is how the stitch is formed but the way you hold your needles and yarn is much more a case of finding what works best for you. It can be very worthwhile to watch bunch of different tutorials, with different tutors to get inspiration for different hand/yarn positions to try till you find the one that is perfect for you.

Hope this helps :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I watched the video and I think there are probably better ones. Try others. As to the tightness, that is a typical beginner thing of holding the needles and yarn too tightly due to intense concentration. Don't pull the cast on stitches so tight and try to hold the needles a bit more easily, not with such a death-grip. I should try that together with a different video (sorry I can't recommend one but I'm sure lots of other people will who are better knitters than me). Suddenly it will click in your mind and your fingers and become much easier, I promise. Don't give up! I think the thicker needles and thicker yarn are a good idea, too. Good luck! Let us know how you get on!

·
Banned
23,386 Posts
In my opinion, that is not the best video for a new knitter.
She is a tight knitter as well as bouncing around with her points to be made and too many ifs, ands, or buts put in one video.
I agree with points made above.
It comes with practice to find your own personal tension.
One point I want to make about your tight stitches, is it could be that you are also knitting the stitch near the tips and then sliding them up the needle to the wider shank portion.
You want the stitch to be worked past the tip up to the wider portion of the needle and then knit in it.
This makes the stitch the size of the needle.
Then you will be able to find and develop the right tension for your work.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Lots of good advice in all the above messages.

I just want to add one tip---from watching some of my students; I have found they want to 'pull' the yarn very tightly after forming the stitch. Don't do it! it makes your stitches too tight to work comfortably.

Don't give up---go online and find some other videos to watch. One will be the one that will be the one you need.

Blessings. :)

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
I agree that there are much better videos out there.

Berocco.com has a learning center with tons of videos. Try Verypink on you tube and knit freedom. All great tutorials.

Make sure you don't cast on too tightly and remember that the first row worked after the cast on is always a little awkward.
I would just keep practicing by casting on 15 or 20 stitches until you become comfortable.
Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
12,306 Posts
My teacher always said to me, when I would say "I can't do it" "Can't never could and never will. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again." So, I say to you: "Can't never could and never will! If at first you don't succeed, try, try again." Don't give up. Get some bigger needles to practice with. Maybe the needle size and your tension need to be changed. Relax and enjoy the process. You are not trying to make a fitted wedding gown! Just relax my sweet learner and you will succeed. I just know that you will!

·
Registered
6,791 Posts
I also think it is a tension problem, common with beginners. Try to relax your right hand when the yarn passes through it, as that is how you control how loose or tight your stitches are. How small are your needles and what ply yarn are you using? Anything smaller than 4mm, size 8, is not the easiest to learn on, and you should ideally be using double knitting (dk) wool. Good luck and practise - you can do it!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you everyone, some very good tips here. I was wondering if I was doing it all too tight and that was normal, which apparently it is, so I feel a lot better.

Also glad to know I will maybe find it easier with bigger needles and thicker yarn.

Also will look for a knitting shop and see if I can snag a free little lesson!

Thank you for all the website tips, I will have a look at those.

You are all very helpful, I will let you know how I get on :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rosette said:
I also think it is a tension problem, common with beginners. Try to relax your right hand when the yarn passes through it, as that is how you control how loose or tight your stitches are. How small are your needles and what ply yarn are you using? Anything smaller than 4mm, size 8, is not the easiest to learn on, and you should ideally be using double knitting (dk) wool. Good luck and practise - you can do it!
Not sure why my avatar, which included a picture of my needles and yarn, and ridiculous work, didn't stick! But here is a pic of the needles I am using, from Amazon.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
evejanelucille said:
I have these really thin needles, which I think are the problem, but then, how does anyone use them? They have to workable right? I began two nights ago and only had an hour or so's try.

I can cast on, I can do a few on that side, then transferring it, the video makes it look simple, but for some reason either I can't grasp what goes where and when I just wing it after watching the video they trying, the second needle I'm transferring to just becomes all tight so I can't even manoeuvre it anymore! :evil: :oops:

What the heck am I doing wrong? I feel like a child and it's really frustrating me. Now I am going to order some thicker needles (you can see my needles in my avatar) and thicker wool on Friday (payday), but I want to persevere with this until then, I want to learn and I know it's not impossible. I must be doing something wrong.

I've used this instruction video from KnittingHelp.com

http://www.knittinghelp.com/video/play/how-to-knit-basics-beginner-tutorial-part-1 which is a great video,

But when she transfers the needles I can't tell exactly where she is going. I am a bit stupid when it comes to co-ordination (English is my thing) but when it comes to directions and orientation I'm not so good, which I think is what is stopping me getting this. I don't know if anyone can help, maybe just encourage. :oops:

Thanks.
I would definitely get larger needles and wool. I would also look for a local knitting group. You might try looking up the WI as someone there will definitely knit. There are some really good books in the library so check this out. Some local colleges and schools have craft lessons or craft days where people can learn to knit and crochet. If you have a green flyer it may list this.

There are a number of different methods so you need to find the one that suits you best. Your local wool shop may be able to help with this. It's such a shame I don't live closer as I would love to be of more help.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom