Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Just returned from a trip to France and spent an entire day in Normandy and environs including all the beaches and the American cemetery. Quite a moving experience. Amazing to realize they climbed those high cliffs. And the harbor they built after the invasion.

My own father was a Marine in the battle of Iwo Jima.

God bless all those brave men.

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
I wish I knew. My mother never told me about my father. She was in the RAF. My daughters asked her often and she made up different stories for them, including one that he was an American GI from Seattle. I would love to have known what he did in the war. Strangely she used to receive nylon stockings wrapped surreptitiously in newsprint from him as they were not obtainable over here.

·
Registered
343 Posts
My great-uncle was one of the first men on Normandy Beach. He was injured almost immediately and wasn't rescued until late afternoon. He rarely spoke of his experience. I always wonder when I see pictures if he is in them somewhere.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
My father was shot at Normandy. He was part of a group that kept German reinforcements from getting through. They were out numbered and it ended in hand to hand combat. They held the Germans back and two German Generals who were captured said they wished these brave Americans had been on the side of the Germans. The older I get the more I miss him.

·
Registered
6,962 Posts
Interesting. Thank you for sharing.
My father was fighting in Germany but I have no idea where.
Many thanks to these brave men and women--I have an aunt who was in the Army Nurse corp.

·
Registered
31,164 Posts
The only answer I can give is 'no'. My grandfather did not go to the war and during the second world war my father worked for the newspaper and he was a typesetter and he was need to get the papers out containing all the news.

·
Registered
262 Posts
One of my uncles is buried at Normandy Cemetery. I remember how handsome he was in his uniform in the photos I used to look at. My father was fighting in the South Pacific from beginning to end. To have been in such intense fighting for so long I am surely lucky to have had a father growing up.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
We are all blessed for if it had not been for these brave men and women, God only knows what kind of a mess we would have been in. My father fought with the Royal British Navy as a signal man and also volunteered with the Royal Canadian Navy when their navy was short of sailors, during some very intense fighting. I heard him say on several occasions that the allied forces lost a lot of very brave men and women during that war (and ww1 as well)but that we should never forget the enormous losses of the Jewish people as well. After the war he immigrated to Canada and visited the wounded veterans at Sunnybrook Hospital almost every week for a very long time and contributed to Jewish charities to help those families who had managed to escape and start new lives here. We should never forget the sacrifices that are made every day by our allied militaries throughout the world. Bless them all.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Caroline19 said:
We are all blessed for if it had not been for these brave men and women, God only knows what kind of a mess we would have been in. My father fought with the Royal British Navy as a signal man and also volunteered with the Royal Canadian Navy when their navy was short of sailors, during some very intense fighting. I heard him say on several occasions that the allied forces lost a lot of very brave men and women during that war (and ww1 as well)but that we should never forget the enormous losses of the Jewish people as well. After the war he immigrated to Canada and visited the wounded veterans at Sunnybrook Hospital almost every week for a very long time and contributed to Jewish charities to help those families who had managed to escape and start new lives here. We should never forget the sacrifices that are made every day by our allied militaries throughout the world. Bless them all.
Your father, like mine, did a very good job in teaching you about the horrors of war. Lest we forget.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom