Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
27,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am reading a book set in the slums of Liverpool in the 1940's which mentions "fents" - I gather it is some sort of fabric but more than that I don't know. I've googled fents and fent without success.

Thanks in advance! :sm11:

·
Registered
8,430 Posts
Fents... although it could be fabric. I googled and a fent is one piece of picket fence.
So in what context was it meant to be in the book.....?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I lived in London in the 1940's - don't recognize "fents"; can you please give a bit more, maybe the sentence or connection to the word ? I am curious now, I really am, and really would like to know. (I a an avid reader) Winifred.

·
Registered
22,120 Posts
joanmary1 said:
I am reading a book set in the slums of Liverpool in the 1940's which mentions "fents" - I gather it is some sort of fabric but more than that I don't know. I've googled fents and fent without success.

Thanks in advance! :sm11:
Fent | a piece of waste fabric Collins dictionary

·
Registered
27,125 Posts
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fent
Define fent: a slit or opening in a garment especially : a neck opening or placket. .....
a remnant of cloth; specifically : a short and often imperfect end or length of finished fabric

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
To people not familiar with the word 'fent', it is a local term meaning remnant of fabric which, in years gone by, was measured and sold by weight.

This is from the Fent Shop in Skipton - so perhaps more widely known in northern England - I'd never heard of it before. Only known to me as 'remnants' and end 'of end of roll'. Don't we learn stuff on here? And yes it looks like a Fent in one bit of a picket fence - confusing!

·
Registered
27,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The mother in the book would buy fents at the market and sew them, so presumably some sort of fabric. She also sewed handkerchiefs from old torn up bed sheets to sell.

The book is an eBook "A Cuppa Tea and an Aspirin by Helen Forrester"

Maybe I'm just being too nosey!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom