Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
A Smitten is a mitten with a thumb, first finger and mitt for the last three fingers. They are used for hunting or other sports needing the first finger free to move on it's own. Farmers have used them for many generations. If you Google the term smitten lots of patterns are available. I have been knitting them for 20 years, in both worsted and heavy weight yarn.

Good luck, Sophee

·
Registered
140 Posts
There is also a pattern for it in One Skein Wonders. It's different from the ones that have been pictured and described so far, but really simple to make! Basically, you cast on as for a mitten, make 2 or three inches of ribbing, make increases as for making a mitten, but instead of tapering off and sewing off the end where it would meet the end of your hand, you just keep going for about 9 or 10 inches, depending I guess on how big you want it. Then gradually decrease again, tapering down to the correct no. of stitches to begin ribbing for the second cuff. It's easier than making mittens because you don't have to fuss with the thumb gusset. I've made one for myself and attached an i-cord to it to hang around my neck. I live in NYC, so I find it handy to be able to pull out my hand to swipe my train pass, get my wallet out at a store, etc. and not have to juggle briefcase, shopping bags, mitten, wallet...You get the picture. I can't tell you how many gloves and mittens I've lost over the years. Left on buses & trains, dropped on the floor at stores, in parking lots, movie theaters. No more orphan mittens! And, if you're so inclined, you can share it with someone else, but I guess I'm more pragmatic about cold hands, so I'll stick with the solo user. I think if you have a pattern for conventional mittens, you could make your own smitten pattern without much trouble.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I love the idea of the smitten.....thanks for the pic & pattern. I have someone in mind it would be perfect for.... just hope I can get it made before Valentine's day!! I can see that it is perfect for someone like Lassie, who gave a great description.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have knitted "Smittens" for years. My most favorite pair to knit is out of heavy weight wool or wool alpaca blend and face the smitten with deer hide. The hide is in 2 pieces with the thumb being separate. Kinda wrapped around the thumb and first finger a little so when picking up something there is a bit of grip, and the deer hide keeps the smitten very dry.

Enjoy, Sophee

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom