Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
((((((((( The last time I flew, knitting needles and crochet hooks were allowed. Scissors were still controlled.

What I do now, is call your airport fpr the latest information as their rules change without much warning.

Hope this helps!

Donna Rae
Brandon, Iowa ))))))))

Bifocaled n Befuddled said:
for carry-on needle work? I have a flight in 2 weeks and will purchase whatever type needle/hook is allowed to be used during flight.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have flown with my knitting twice now and haven't had any problem. I only had my yarn and needles with me. All the other tools were in my suitcase. I'm going again in a couple of weeks and plan to bring it along again. Such a good way to spend productive time on a flight.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hello,

I just flew out of Pittsburg, PA to Florida and back again. I had my knitting in a plastic bag in my carry on. I took a pair of blunt children's scissors, but the needles I had were metal. I had no problem when I went through any of the lines. Hope this helps you. Just packed my needles and yarn again to go to NC. Hope it is as easy.

Have a good trip,
Pati

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
+"Take a self-stamped [or a blank envelope and stamps to self-address] and the TSA agent will return your items to you. This is all good info. Several readings mentioned the agent has the final discretion--keep it open.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've found it to be okay within the US (and probably Canada) but it can be very inconsistent outside the country. So, you may be able to bring your knitting when you go to Singapore, but can't bring it when you return. And losing your needles and the like in a foreign country probably means you won't get it back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I flew from Atlanta to Indianapolis and I took my knitting needles.
I went out to the TSA website and looked up knitting needles. I printed out the response just in case I had a problem getting through security.
No problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Though I have NEVER had any problems I do two things in case I do encounter a problem. As a previous poster suggested, take a self addressed envelope (padded would be good for metal needles)and some stamps - don't put the stamps on the envelope unless you are forced to. The second thing I do is run a "lifeline" through my last row before boarding. Just take a piece of scrap yarn with a plastic tapestry needle and run the line of yarn between your needle and live stitches. That way, if you do have to pull the needles out..you won't drop any stitches in transit. I've never had to pull my needles out..but one never knows when rules can change so better safe than sorry.

I do one other thing too..I put my "good needles" in my checked bag...and generally keep what I'm working on, on inexpensive needles...so that I don't have to worry about losing time, getting out of line to mail needles back...I'll toss a cheap pair rather than miss my flight.

I've knitted my way to and from Australia, from Chicago to Colorado (many times) and on flights to and from many other cities..but I'm always prepared to the unexpected.

One thing I have found though, many flight attendants are fellow knitters or crocheters...they generally want to see what I'm working on....and then they are more than happy to give me and extra beverage or snack!!

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
I should add...on a flight from Denver to Grand Rapids, MI an attendant asked what I was working on..when I showed her the knitting magazine and the item..she gave me a sticky note pad and asked me to write down the volume #, and the address of the magazine (a very "trendy" tunic). At the time I was flying to my sisters funeral using a ticket purchased at a reduced cost because I am an airline employee. I have to tell you I was treated so well on that flight. To this day I don't know if it was because I'm a knitter...or because of the loss of my sister. Most airline employees are great people.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have flown quite often since 9/11 and haven't had any trouble but took precautions. Right after the disaster, I made sure I had a wooden circular in the appropriate size for my knitting or just took socks on wooden DPN's. I figured they were no different than a pencil! The rules have lightened a bit since then but the previous suggestions are a great idea. You never know with TSA. Better to be safe than lose your WIP!! Kathy in CO

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I'm planning a trip in April (in the US). I'm glad to see from the current TSA guidelines that I can take my knitting in my carry-on. So no problem I guess with the knitting needles. Also, I see it's okay to take scissors with a 4" or less blade. Mine are small like that. But I will likely take all my necessary accoutrements in my checked bag, and just carry needles and yarn of a project that I want to knit while on the plane. A small project, I think, that won't require my big knitting bag. Like one of my fingerless gloves. Or maybe the cardi I'm making, because it won't require checking a pattern since I'm still at the stockinette stitch part. Keep it simple, I say. Or, better yet, why not the scarf I'm working on?

Just to be sure, I plan to call the airline and ask them what I can and cannot take on board.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom