Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started this poncho for my little granddaughter and when I changed from the border of garter stitch to stockinette, it immediately curled toward the front. The yarn is 100% acrylic (Lion brand's Unique). I tried a preliminary block with warm water - no change. I'm afraid to steam it for fear it will melt the acrylic. (The black rectangle is a TV remote, used to hold the yarn on the circular needle in place.)

Any suggestions? I'm willing to start over.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Stockinette stitch is bound to curl, garter stitch or seed stitch would be better for a border. Steaming might flatten it but every time it is washed it will revert to a curl.

·
Registered
20,406 Posts
Stockinette curls. It's the nature of the beast. You can try blocking it which I expect might have some moderate success until it's washed, live with it, frog and rework it, or add a facing by picking up and knitting. My thoughts FWIW.

·
Registered
27,128 Posts
Are you saying the border was garter stitch? When you started to stocking stitch the garter stitch border flipped up? I found that happened to me when I made the famous all in one. I use rib stitch or seed stitch as a border and do not have the problem. That does not help you. As it is a poncho putting fring on would pull the border down.

·
Registered
19,344 Posts
Seems you tried garter stitch to begin, would seed stitch work better. I'm just thinking that ribbing doesn't roll to stockinette side usually and seed st is like ribbing with KPKPKPKP etc. I don't know for sure, but, I like your yarn.
Some people are missing that your border is garter stitch now.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
You will never get the roll out, the yarn remembers. Blocking might look ok for a minute, but it will curl again. Rip it out, chalk it up to a learning experience, start again. I did the same thing on an edge with 200 stitches...it really hurt to rip out 10 rows of that~

·
Registered
835 Posts
I am making a tunic now and the bottom is garter st, the rest is stockinette and my bottom is rolling too. I am hoping when I block it, it will not do that. Mine is merino wool. If you are adding fringe I think it will
correct itself.

·
Registered
20,406 Posts
I see I misread originally. The border is in garter stitch. Well, still, bands flip and that's unfortunate. TECHknitter wrote about solutions for the problem. You might see if there's something on her blog that would help.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Unique does not seem to have enough body to handle the transition of stitches. If it were me I would find a different border for the bottom of the little poncho. Maybe a scalloped hem would be cute.

·
Registered
8,550 Posts
I think it rolls as soon as you switch from anything to SS stitch. When I make the all in one baby sweater, the curl happened at the change of stitch row. The only way I have ever fixed it was to do more rows of garter stitch , which added weight to the bottom of the sweater.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Cathryn 2ed said:
Unique does not seem to have enough body to handle the transition of stitches. If it were me I would find a different border for the bottom of the little poncho. Maybe a scalloped hem would be cute.
I agree one of the K P members posted the scalloped edge pattern

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom