Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I often wonder what other people do in the evening after the dishes are done and there is not much left to do but watch TV. Do they just sit there, zoning out in front of the TV. Or what do they do if they have nothing to do? I have been a knitter for 40 years. I knit most every minute I don't have anything to do because I hate having nothing to do. (Not to mention the knitting "BUG" has never left me) I constantly think of my next project. I sit and do mindless knitting when I don't want to think about a pattern (like socks or dishclothes) I take it in the car, I take it camping. I am not me without my knitting. I ask again what do other people do when there is nothing left to do? Maybe I should just look across the room at my husband, zoned out in front of a John Wayne movie, Can it be????????

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
New2Knitten said:
Some get on this forum and answer questions that have been so helpful to many. Others get on this forum and learn new things. Then others...... well they need to be introduced to knitting!!!!
I concider getting on this forum as part of my knitting...LOL It's all about the yarn and needles eh? LOL

·
Registered
569 Posts
Hey from Texas,
I am a people watcher while knitting. I am with you all the way but I think I have it figured out. Some people cant think out of the box. I have found that knitters and other crafters don't look at the world the same way non-crafters do. We see something and wonder if we could make it better. We are do'ers and our minds don't turn off. It may be a burden but God knew what He was doing. And, frankly, I feel terribly blessed that He gave me my grandmother and my knitting. Hope, this wasn't more information than you wanted.
Wanda/Queenmawmaw

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Queenmawmaw said:
Hey from Texas,
I am a people watcher while knitting. I am with you all the way but I think I have it figured out. Some people cant think out of the box. I have found that knitters and other crafters don't look at the world the same way non-crafters do. We see something and wonder if we could make it better. We are do'ers and our minds don't turn off. It may be a burden but God knew what He was doing. And, frankly, I feel terribly blessed that He gave me my grandmother and my knitting. Hope, this wasn't more information than you wanted.
Wanda/Queenmawmaw
I am with you! If it weren't for my grandmother I would have been lost. And you are right. My mind goes 90mph all day long. Knitting grounds me. Some older folks nap, I knit. But also I ride horses, keep a small farm with chickens and steers and a small orchard of 160 fruit trees. You would think I had no time left to knit...but I certainly DO!

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
((((( I rarely just watch TV without something going on be it knit, crochet, reading through new pattern books or booklets, books on the history of knitting and crocheting, etc.

Another thing I do while WIPing and watching TV, is to catch the Knitt and Crochet Now TV show (Create Channel) and hone in on hew techniques and ideas presented.

I keep in my crochet covered square tissue box (that has rectuangles sewn on the outside for tools, etc.,) a note pad & pencil. I can write .com sites down on it and later go to the pc for a look see.

As I have a kazillion books, I like to occasionally skip WIPS when mobile and pan through these books where I use paper clips to mark pages.

Clips at the top of the page = good. Clips on the right side of the page = better and clips at the bottom of the page = get to the soonest. Something like that! LOL!!

It's common for me to have several whips going at all times. When in public, I take spare needles and hooks + small yarn balls = You won't believe how many people want to learn one or the other in K or C. I say, "Let's do it! LOL!"

Donna Rae
`````````````

jstrr1 said:
I often wonder what other people do in the evening after the dishes are done and there is not much left to do but watch TV. Do they just sit there, zoning out in front of the TV. Or what do they do if they have nothing to do? I have been a knitter for 40 years. I knit most every minute I don't have anything to do because I hate having nothing to do. (Not to mention the knitting "BUG" has never left me) I constantly think of my next project. I sit and do mindless knitting when I don't want to think about a pattern (like socks or dishclothes) I take it in the car, I take it camping. I am not me without my knitting. I ask again what do other people do when there is nothing left to do? Maybe I should just look across the room at my husband, zoned out in front of a John Wayne movie, Can it be????????

·
Registered
3 Posts
People who do not craft have always puzzled me too.
Queenmowmow,
You put that very eloquently. It can be hard to continually process all of the information but I would rather be part of the solution and creative. I have my Grandma and my Mom to thank for my interest in crafting.
Busy in front of the TV and loving it.

·
Registered
22,470 Posts
Knitting/crocheting is great for hyperactive people. It uses up so much of the excess energy while doing something creative, useful and soul satisfying. I am the kind of person who cannot focus on just one thing. My mind is jumping to the next thing. So working with my hands deals with that need to have contrasting ideas/energy going at once.
But so funnily, I can't yet apply that to doing 2 handed fair isle knitting. On top of my challenge list this week!

·
Registered
7,190 Posts
jstrr1 said:
It's a total mystery to me... I find there are seldom enough hours in the day for all the things I want to do. My To-Do list is now so long, it runs to several volumes and requires the services of a librarian just to manage the index!

Dave

·
Registered
47 Posts
I understand totally!! My SO does not have a hobby and either naps or sits in front of the TV!! BORING!!!
I have to be doing something and mainly it is knitting, or spinning. or looking up new patterns! I also like to read Mysteries, I probably only watch TV 8 hours a week. I have recently started a new pair of socks and am "hooked" on the new sock yarns that "self pattern"!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
I knit, crochet, review my books for the next project, read and learn so much from this forum.

My mother taught me to knit many years (55±) ago.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Well, I don't do the dishes but once a week sometimes as knitting and whatever craft at the moment is much more important than the extra water for everyday dish doing, I have enough dishes to last a week and pile them neatly after a short rinse.
I can choose whatever craft I want, thanks to the internet I now also spin, do bobbin lace, fancy tatting, kumihimo, netting. Oh besides the crochet that I have done since I was a child and the knitting I taught myself as a young adult. I search the net for new skills to learn. I have learned lace knitting and retaught myself to knit continental from english style. I have recently learned some new to me crochet techniques due to this list and others. like Interwoven crochet and crocodile stitch. But most of my time is spent on the internet. :( as I seem to be as addicted to that as I am to crafting, maybe more. Oh, I usually have at least two projects in all of the crafts going at one time. So my choices are unlimited. Also take knitting with all the time and knit in public whenever I desire, or have to wait mindlessly. How can people stand to just sit there!!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I knew I had the knitting "BUG" when I wondered if I could get a row in while sitting at a stoplight. Seriously, I keep my knitting with me at all times. My favorite time is early in the morning when I can take my knitting and my coffee, sit on the porch, knit and watch the people hurry off to work.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I have to be doing "something" when we watch TV. I'm either reading, playing with my laptop (reading this forum of course), or knitting. I love John Wayne movies, and have seen them all a dozen times, so if one of them is on I can just listen : )

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
We don't watch TV. We have three tvs. We havn't had cable hookup in over seven years and we don't miss it. (Without cable hookup no tv watching.) I will sit and read, knit, crochet or go on the computer or sit and watch dvd's.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hi from PA. I knit everytime I get the chance and sitting with my husband while he watches TV is prime time for me. If what I'm working on takes concentration, and I want to see the TV also, i will switch to dishcloths or afgan blocks. Bottom line is my hands are always going and I love it. I love to read also, but have found that I can download audiobooks from the library and listen while I knit. Perfect combination (not with the TV going though). My puppies - 5 yr old Boston Terrier and 4 yr old beagle snuggle against me while I knit. Heaven!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I never have enough time for everything! After I get home from work, about 9:30 PM, I grab a snack and watch an hour show and the news, then off to bed. I knit, read, fold clothes, call my mother, jump up during commercials for dishes etc. I have to be extremely tired to just watch TV and do nothing else. I don't sit still for very long, so why don't I weigh a measly 110 lbs???? lol

·
Registered
7,190 Posts
alicek1p2 said:
I never have enough time for everything! After I get home from work, about 9:30 PM, I grab a snack and watch an hour show and the news, then off to bed. I knit, read, fold clothes, call my mother, jump up during commercials for dishes etc. I have to be extremely tired to just watch TV and do nothing else. I don't sit still for very long, so why don't I weigh a measly 110 lbs???? lol
There is an old saying:

If you want something done, ask a busy person; those with time on their hands, have usually planned things that way!

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom