Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do other KP members do when knitting straight plain and purl,well if I get a bit bored ,I will imagine I'm being timed in a knit off,or time myself per row ,and see if I can beat my time ,sometimes I go so fast I get in a muddle ,lol,sometimes I will watch a film while I knit P&P,or tell my grandchildren a story ,making it up as I go along,does anyone else do these things, Ok just me then lol lolx

·
Banned
13,778 Posts
I also "play little games with myself" when the knitting is boring like stockinette.

After 10 rows I get to take an M&M.... Five rows and I can go get another cup of tea.... Yes, I play games with myself to get me motivated when the knitting isn't interesting enough to keep my attention!!

·
Registered
4,623 Posts
I find plain stocking stitch boring too, so I give myself treats like Amy. Also, I only watch TV while knitting, waste of time otherwise. I like to measure my work often and that seems to help break up the boredom.

·
Banned
13,778 Posts
jadancey said:
I find plain stocking stitch boring too, so I give myself treats like Amy. Also, I only watch TV while knitting, waste of time otherwise. I like to measure my work often and that seems to help break up the boredom.
Another treat is.... after 10 rows, I take a break and check out KP! giggle.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Guess I am the odd one out, as I love plain old garter stitch, I can sit and knit it for hours. Same goes for ribbing. :oops:

·
Registered
11,778 Posts
Hi I'm back after quite a while without internet!

When I'm knitting boring stuff I switch between projects to make it more interesting.

At present one of my projects is a baby blanket knitted in fine, lace weight cotton on 3mm needles, done in garter st. You start with one stitch and inc at start of every row till the first ball of yarn is used and then on the 2nd ball of yarn you dec at start of every row. (My stitch count got to 345) I'm just past the turning point and have 341 st remaining. It can get pretty boring, so I do something else for the day or for a couple of hours, what ever I feel like.

Currently I have several quite different things on the go!
:) :) :)

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
:) I guess I'm very easy going about this. Since almost everything I knit is hats, I guess that's a good thing, because it could get boring really fast. I think that stockinette stitch is lovely. Often times I'll do some sort of variation of a knit and purl pattern so that the hat will have more stretch to it -- or maybe just to fool around with a swirl of stitches going around it. But, mostly just plain old knitting. What I do get bored with is the color, perhaps. Right now I'm finishing up a skein of lime colored yarn -- about four hats worth -- and I'm pretty tired of that color.

·
Registered
9,783 Posts
Annelisse said:
Hi I'm back after quite a while without internet!

When I'm knitting boring stuff I switch between projects to make it more interesting.

At present one of my projects is a baby blanket knitted in fine, lace weight cotton on 3mm needles, done in garter st. You start with one stitch and inc at start of every row till the first ball of yarn is used and then on the 2nd ball of yarn you dec at start of every row. (My stitch count got to 345) I'm just past the turning point and have 341 st remaining. It can get pretty boring, so I do something else for the day or for a couple of hours, what ever I feel like.

Currently I have several quite different things on the go!
:) :) :)
Must be a good feeling to reach the point to start decreasing! I would probably knit the second half faster, although they are exactly the same.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Yarnie.One said:
:) I guess I'm very easy going about this. Since almost everything I knit is hats, I guess that's a good thing, because it could get boring really fast. I think that stockinette stitch is lovely. Often times I'll do some sort of variation of a knit and purl pattern so that the hat will have more stretch to it -- or maybe just to fool around with a swirl of stitches going around it. But, mostly just plain old knitting. What I do get bored with is the color, perhaps. Right now I'm finishing up a skein of lime colored yarn -- about four hats worth -- and I'm pretty tired of that color.
I'm like you Yarnie.One.

I also knit a lot of hats, for charity and I love doing double rib. I knit them on the round, so for me :oops: patterns don't alway work out at the joining point. I don't have much patience so for me it is easier to just rib.

Nope, don't suggest using straight needles for patterns as I absolutely loathe sewing them up.

About your colour boredom problem, why not knit several different coloured hats at once, that is what I do.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
I like the feeling of finishing a project, so I don't knit really big things any more.
Even so I play games like...oooh as soon as I get finished knitting this row I get to purl again. The next row is....oooh as soon as I finish this row I get to knit again.
Silly, I know.

·
Registered
15,400 Posts
If I'm knitting something in stocking stitch I watch TV at the same time. Usually alternate an easy stocking stitch project which I'm bored with by the time it's finished, with something with a more intricate pattern.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Easy patterns can allow me to listen to an audiobook. I'm listening to Daniel Silva's The English Girl now. The action parts make me slow down my needles a bit, though. :)

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom