Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
fingerless mittens. I made several -but my hairdresser said hers are already worn out-b/c she wears them ALL the time. She wants a few more pair and offered to pay me(but she does not accept tips-so this is a good way for me to show her my appreciation)-I was thinking maybe sock yarn would be good-but maybe too small of a weight. I used a pattern I found here before Christmas and size 8 dpns. Thanks for any advice.

· Registered
12,277 Posts
With size 8 dp needles I would think your pattern calls for at least a worsted weight yarn, or aran weight. Sock yarn is like sport or fingering yarn and wouldn't be very warm knit on a size 8, not to mention the size would come out wrong. As for a yarn that doesn't wear out as fast, a wool blend will wear better, a wool/cotton, or even a wool/ acrylic would work fine.

· Registered
13,836 Posts
I will throw in my two cents worth, to say I made some fingerless mittens for my daughter who is a runner out of dk alpaca. Because of her sweating they ended up felting terribly! She wants another pair but this time I'm using machine washable wool because that wouldn't have the felting problem. For warmth I'd go with something heavier than sock yarn too.

· Registered
649 Posts
mrsleanna said:
fingerless mittens. I made several -but my hairdresser said hers are already worn out-b/c she wears them ALL the time. She wants a few more pair and offered to pay me(but she does not accept tips-so this is a good way for me to show her my appreciation)-I was thinking maybe sock yarn would be good-but maybe too small of a weight. I used a pattern I found here before Christmas and size 8 dpns. Thanks for any advice.
I made the wristers below on a size 5 needle with a worsted weight yarn (content of your choice) came out fab. Light weight but warm, took less than an hour for each one.

http://400squareftliving.blogspot.com/2010/09/knitting-marys-merry-wristers.html

KIKISHTTP://400SQUAREFTLIVING.BLOGSPOT.COM/2010/09/KNITTING-MARYS-MERRY-WRISTERS.HTML
WRISTERS

· Registered
6,990 Posts
Lauriejanesplace.....I too made the wristers from the same pattern......I used worsted weight for 2 pairs and Wool-ease for another pair, they all turned out great....I used a size 4 needles, but think I will use a 5 the next time I knit a pair as they were a little snug. Great pattern, easy to do.........nice project to take "on the go"....the fingerless gloves are so popular right now. hugs to all

· Registered
4,218 Posts

· Registered
10,240 Posts
If you're using solid color sock yarn, two strands knit to about the same gauge as worsted.

For something like that, I like to use a needle that's one to three sizes smaller than I would usually use for that weight yarn. Start knitting the mitts and test them by putting them on and shoving them in your pockets. If they wind up around your wrist, rip them out and use a smaller needle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom