Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to make a set of dishcloths for my mom. I need a sturdy and pretty yarn that is soft but will last through much use and washing. Any suggestions on a brand or name of a good yarn to use?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Any 100% cotton yarn. I've used Sugar N Cream and have used the dish cloths for over 10 years. I have also used Bernat Handicrafter. The cloths made with that are a little more softer and hold up just as well. The Bernat yarn holds it's color better, longer. Many say they've used Love this Cotton from Hobby Lobby, but I don't have a Hobby Lobby nearby so the only thing I've made from that yarn was some baby bibs. I just finished the bibs and have only laundered once because I'm giving as a shower gift this weekend. Will know before too long how that holds up because the baby is due in less than 2 months now.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Are you asking for washcloths (for face and body) or dishcloths for cleaning and dishes? For the face, I use the crochet cotton in synthetic blends on small needles. I have had raves from family members on how they hold up, but dishcloths are normally made in Peaches and Cream or some cotton.

·
Registered
12,306 Posts
In my humble opinion, only 100% cotton should be used. They hold up longer. They start in my bath rooms, and when worn they go to the kitchen and when they are stained up and worn out, they go to the rag bag to put on my swifter to clean the floors.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dishcloths. I've changed the post to say that. Thanks for letting me know I wasn't very clear.

judyr said:
Are you asking for washcloths (for face and body) or dishcloths for cleaning and dishes? For the face, I use the crochet cotton in synthetic blends on small needles. I have had raves from family members on how they hold up, but dishcloths are normally made in Peaches and Cream or some cotton.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Nanny26 said:
A knitting friend told me about this yarn and I used it when I made wash clothes for my grandson when he was born. IT's Lions brand organic cotton yarn. A bit pricey, but you won't be disappointed. JoAnn Fabrics had it but I think they are discontinuing it. The last time I was there they had it marked way down in price. http://cn1.kaboodle.com/img/b/0/0/1cc/f/AAAAC9bXM90AAAAAAcz4KQ/lion-brand-yarn-natures-choice-organic-cotton-yarn.jpg?v=1333508590000
I know that Joann's has got in more of this yarn...the discontinued yarn was probably a discontinued color.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Catarry said:
I know that Joann's has got in more of this yarn...the discontinued yarn was probably a discontinued color.
Oh I am so happy because I really like this yarn. Wishing it was brighter colors tho, maybe that's what the company is doing? I haven't minded the colors because of the softness of them. I use the yarn for dish clothes too, love them as well.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Nanny26 said:
Oh I am so happy because I really like this yarn. Wishing it was brighter colors tho, maybe that's what the company is doing? I haven't minded the colors because of the softness of them. I use the yarn for dish clothes too, love them as well.
Here's what Joann's is offering online in this yarn. Not every color is available in the store, but I think my local store stocked only the solid colors and now the varigated yarns are available.

http://www.joann.com/lion-brand-nature-s-choice-organic-cotton-yarn/xprd357275/

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
WOnderful, I see many different colors, never used to be variegated! Love it, can't wait to get new colors, thanks for sharing!

Catarry said:
Here's what Joann's is offering online in this yarn. Not every color is available in the store, but I think my local store stocked only the solid colors and now the varigated yarns are available.

http://www.joann.com/lion-brand-nature-s-choice-organic-cotton-yarn/xprd357275/

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Sugar and Cream by Lily--similar to Peaches and Cream available at Walmart, but I don't think I have ever used PnC. I also like "I Love This Cotton" from Hobby Lobby, but I personally feel that SnC holds up longer for a dishrag, and it's scratchier for more heavy duty type cleaning. I only use ILTC for a dishrag when the color I want is not available in the SnC. ILTC has a MUCH PRETTIER Christmas yarn in variegated red, white, and green than SnC, so I knit my Christmas cloths in it. I also knit soft face cloths in the ILTC. If I wanted a more exfoliating type face cloth, however, I would use the other.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Oh, and for the color, my favorite color for SnC is called Holiday Stripes. Not sure why they call it "Holiday" because it is not your typical red, white, and green Christmas holiday, which they DO have, as I said, but that particular red is an orangey red, which I do not like and is the reason I use the ILTC for Christmas ones. The SnC "Holiday Stripes" one is more of a cranberry red, forest green, and light tan (natural) color that is often used in kitchen decorating--well, at least it was, not sure about now, but I still LOVE it, and everyone I know does, as well. On a diagonal "idiot's dishcloth," it knits up in really pretty wide diagonal stripes. You can see it here, although on my computer screen, the red doesn't seem as cranberry-ish as it is in real life and the natural color looks a little lighter than it does in real life. Oh, and some balls are lighter in color than others. Kind of have a "washed out" effect, which is still pretty. I always look for the darkest, however.
http://www.sugarncream.com/product.php?LGC=sugarncreamstripes

·
Registered
22,470 Posts
LB organic cotton would be my choice for its softness. And it a gift so you want something a bit more luxurious. I have used Sugar n Cream for many cotton things, but the organic cottons are much, much softer. Paton's had an organic cotton that is still available from online sources. Just ordered some this summer. Also Inca Cotton is fabulous. Look online for it. It is a bit pricey for the skein but you get a lot in it. 8 oz/$28. But so wonderful to work with. And last I looked there were some colors available. I always worked in natural, undyed white.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom