Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 153 Posts

· Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious to know what the first national or international event you can remember as a child. I remember the sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald, an ore freighter that went down in Lake Superior on November 10, 1975. I was 6 years old at the time. We get our news from Toledo, OH, and some of the men on the ship were from the Toledo area, so it was in the news for days. Gordon Lightfoot went on to record a beautiful song about it.

· Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was 6 days old when Neil Armstrong & Buzz Aldrin landed on the moon, so I can't say that I remember it, but I went on to become a total space nut.

· Registered
3,843 Posts
1966 Soccer world cup, I was nearly 2 at the time England beat Germany the final was held on my mom's Birthday the day after was my 2nd Birthday, I lived in the UK then and we watched it on a black and white tv

· Registered
571 Posts
The ones that stick in my mind are..The moon landing, Concordes maiden flight and Winston Churchills funeral. I do remember being on holiday when England won the world cup and my father listening to it on the radio .

· Registered
6,297 Posts
The Bay of Pigs. Then the Cuban Missile crisis. I was 10. Went to bed thinking I would wake up.to nuclear war. No wait!! Sputnik! I remember watching at night to see if we could spot a sattelite. I remember. Telstarwas was an early telecommunications sattelite.

· Registered
2,252 Posts
Two things stand out most vividly:
watching the coronation of Britain's Queen Elizabeth with the complex pageantry.

The Little Rock, Arkansas students who courageously fought to go to school. These kids dressed the same as my friends and I, yet they were fighting to go to school when my friends and I would have probably enjoyed missing school -like an extra school break. Their courage made me appreciate what I had previously taken for granted.

· Registered
1,723 Posts
Being worried there would be a nuclear war. Also remember the sad news of President Kennedy's assassination coming over the P.A. system at school. I happily found the Beatles around that time and really fell in love with their music.

· Registered
12,017 Posts
When I was 3 or 4 my sister and I were outside playing in the summer. We heard thunder and she yelled at me to get in the house the Japanese were coming, it was during WW11. I knew about the war, it was on the news on the radio every day. My cousin was in the Navy and I thought airplanes were ships that he was on. There were two military bases close by.

· Registered
103 Posts
I remember reading in my Grandfather's paper in, I think it was March, 1948 of a terrible underground train crash. I was eight and I can still see the pictures in my mind that the words told. It gave me a terrible phobia about the underground which exists to this day.

· Registered
358 Posts
I remember Queen Elizabeth's coronation also - I was really little.

We lived out in the country and were the first people to have a TV in our area. All the neighbors were at our house and were marveling at how we could see things happening in England.

"Those were the days!"

1 - 20 of 153 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom