Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/the-amanda-hat
I knit this hat originally a long time ago and (horror - did not swatch) just followed the pattern. As I remember, the hat came out huge. I then knit the hat again with fewer stitches and the hat was still somewhat big.

Being the glutton for punishment that I am, I knit the hat again yesterday, remembering that it came out too big. So I guessed and knit it with fewer stitches. You might be thinking, why did she guess? Is is because I am not sure how the heck to figure out what the repeat is here - that is my question - how do I figure out how to change the stitch count?

You can see on the back of the hat I just "fudged" the stitches until it seemed to work out.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,821 Posts
Honestly, if I knit it, I would go down one - two needle sizes and not change the number of stitches.
But, that’s me. I usually do on most hats. I have very short hair and like hats a little tighter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
I have knit this hat several times because it's such a mindless knit. But like you, I found it to be quite large. The issue is that the garter ribbing is very loose compared to a traditional ribbing. So one option is to change the first 8 rows to traditional 2 X 2 ribbing or something similar. The other reason the hat "grows" is that you start out with 83 stitches, but then in the pattern area, you increase to a total of 124 stitches and then back down again, so there is a lot of stretch. The patterned section begins with one knit stitch and then 2 stitches in pattern for the first row. If you decrease your total number of stitches, any combination of 1 knit stitch and 2 for pattern will work. In other words.......any odd number will work.
Good luck with the next one!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,125 Posts
Ladyj960 said:
Honestly, if I knit it, I would go down one - two needle sizes and not change the number of stitches.
But, that's me. I usually do on most hats. I have very short hair and like hats a little tighter.
That's what I was going to say! I'd probably use a 4.5mm or even a 4mm needle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,518 Posts
The stitch repeat is a multiple of 2 plus 3. I agree that this basic hat pattern has some problems. Garter bands are not actually ribbing so nothing snug to hold it on the head. I think I would do a traditional ribbing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I knit the hat pictured, I did use a size 6(US) needle for the garter stitch rib and for the body of the hat I used a size 8 (US). I reduced the number of cast on stitches to 73 - which some how increased to 75.

I am not sure what the answer to my question is - would 73 stitches be a correct count? I wouldn't want to use a needle any smaller than the size 8 as it would make the lace too tight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
kathleenTC said:
I am not sure what the answer to my question is - would 73 stitches be a correct count? I wouldn't want to use a needle any smaller than the size 8 as it would make the lace too tight.
Yes, 73 stitches will work just fine. That's what I did my last one with. If you look at the graph, you'll see that on the first row of the pattern, there is one knit stitch and then only TWO stitches (highlighted by the blue outline) in the actual pattern itself and each repeat on that row is another two stitches from the work. So any odd number of stitches will work for you.
Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,226 Posts
kathleenTC said:
https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/the-amanda-hat
I knit this hat originally a long time ago and (horror - did not swatch) just followed the pattern. As I remember, the hat came out huge. I then knit the hat again with fewer stitches and the hat was still somewhat big.

Being the glutton for punishment that I am, I knit the hat again yesterday, remembering that it came out too big. So I guessed and knit it with fewer stitches. You might be thinking, why did she guess? Is is because I am not sure how the heck to figure out what the repeat is here - that is my question - how do I figure out how to change the stitch count?

You can see on the back of the hat I just "fudged" the stitches until it seemed to work out.
The body of the hat has a 4 stitch repeat, shown clearly on the pattern. When altering stitch count your final number of stitches should be divisible by 4, plus 1... I think.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom