Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not an experienced knitter so I can't figure out what the heck is wrong with this pattern. I knit the first few rows but when I started into the actual pattern it did not work. The numbers are off. Could someone tell me what to do to make it work?

Madeira Cascade Kid Merino Lace Scarf

http://www.straw.com/cpy/cpy9612.html

Attachments

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
((((((( Just a guess, but I'd say the the long, horizontal method used to write the pattern is problematic and not just for you but in general.

I usually copy and paste those into and e-mail and do 'enters' after a group and put them vertically making it easter to read let alone keep track of the repeats. I print it then and use pencil tic marks on the sloppy copy..

Good luck!

Donna Rae
~~~~~~~
Karinza said:
I am not an experienced knitter so I can't figure out what the heck is wrong with this pattern. I knit the first few rows but when I started into the actual pattern it did not work. The numbers are off. Could someone tell me what to do to make it work?

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
Karinza said:

sorry, karinza....i had work on needles so just did your pattern for a few rows and it is fine.....are you reading the chart from the bottom up?

and are you sure you know how to do the 'sl1, k2tog, psso'......as this will all end up being 1 stitch....the symbol on your chart is a little arrow and all those sts go in the place of that one arrow....the 'yo' that happen every now and then will even it out so that you have enough sts to do the next row and come out even.....just in case,

sl1, k2tog, psso = sl 1 st purlwise, k the next two sts together and, now pick up the sl 1 with the tip of your left ndl and pass it over the k2tog....3 sts have become 1.....

in english, slip 1, knit 2 together, Pass Slipped Stitch Over...hope this helps...

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for you comments. I had no idea that there were forums for people that knitted. I just found this place by accident.
I wish there was a knit store close to me. We had one but it closed years ago so the only way for me to try and learn is off utube the Knitwitch. So thank you all for you input!

I will give this another try. I have a feeling the pss might be the problem not to mention.....I don't know how to read charts, I was going by the written instructions.

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
Karinza said:
Thank you all for you comments. I had no idea that there were forums for people that knitted. I just found this place by accident.
I wish there was a knit store close to me. We had one but it closed years ago so the only way for me to try and learn is off utube the Knitwitch. So thank you all for you input!

I will give this another try. I have a feeling the pss might be the problem not to mention.....I don't know how to read charts, I was going by the written instructions.
knitting with only the written instructions is perfectly fine...the charts are there for the people who learned that way...and then there are people like me who kind of do both...i knit with the instructions but the chart is really handy to double check what you are doing while you do it....when machine knitting, i use the charts almost exclusively...no rules, however you are comfortable knitting....

·
Registered
235 Posts
Karinza, it is lovely and no (normal person/non-knitter) one will ever notice if you don't sit around and point it out.

From what I can see in your photo, it looks like you shifted a YO a couple of times . . . . not enough that you would have noticed it at the time. But it is a lovely scarf and looks like it will be soft and serviceable. It will be wrapped around the neck and no one will care.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
I thought it was absolutely gorgeous and like the other lady said wrap it around your neck and don't tell anyone what happened. If someone notices just say, Oh I meant to do that. I did a baby blanket and had to rip it out for the 6th time but finally with perservance I finally go it right. Nina

·
Registered
342 Posts
I just downloaded this pattern yesterday, and I noticed that several of the early rows had been changed to fix mistakes. If you downloaded the pattern a long time ago, go back to the site and get a new copy.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Karinza said:

Karinza:
I've carefully checked each row of the pattern. I believe Row 15 decreases your stitch count by one. I've checked it by both the written and the charted directions and each time I come up with 1 extra decrease. This is not resolved in the following rows. Therefore, if indeed I'm counting correctly, the pattern is wrong. Could someone please double check my count for row 15? Thanks fellow knitters. :lol:

ps: I just checked again and the written directions are wrong but the charted directions are correct. So, try to learn the symbols for the chart and use the chart for your knitting. That or write your directions out from the chart.

·
Registered
15 Posts
When that happens to ne I have either dropped some stitches or added some. Count the stitches onyour needle and see if they are all there that you put on...Start taking off thill you find then number of stitches you sarted with.

·
Registered
21,212 Posts
Just a hint for that scarf pattern.
I would use a life line every few rows since it seems compicated
Lovely too look at.
Good luck
Linda

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
If the chart directions are correct and the written directions are wrong, I had a similar problem a few weeks ago. I have not knitted much lace at all, and had a panel I wanted to use in a scarf. I would knit a few rows then everything would go wrong. A number of people told me where the problem was, which I really appreciated. When I do get back to the lace panel I now have the correct directions. I decided I wasn't yet ready for that complex a pattern and that I'd try a simpler pattern, a much simpler pattern. That is a beautiful scarf pattern you have from Crystal Palace yarns; I wish you the best of luck and more fortitude than I have.

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
I hope all the help works for you. I have had patterns that worked for most of the piece then some one had not written the rest right when there were changes. It would be good for you to google the pattern company and fined out if there are any corrections before you try again.
Karinza said:

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Karinza said:

I followed your link and looked (and copied) your pattern. Nice! It will be trouble for me to get the pattern established. I will definitely use stitch markers, as suggested here by someone, and a lifeline, as suggested by someone else. I will probably try out the pattern with a firm, non fuzzy yarn and comfortably sized needles JUST to make sure that I understand the pattern. If the first pattern repeat develops as expected, then I will go to the kind of yarn and size of needles the directions suggest and start my scarf.

This is NOT a lot of extra work! Believe me, it is MUCH more work to just cast on and knit and purl the prescribed number of stitches and start the pattern and mess up and have to pull it all out and start over. In teaching myself to knit, I have pulled the same project out and started over several times, sometimes after twenty or more inches of of work! Twenty inches on 125 or more cast on stitches is much more serious and I hope not to do it again!

I haven't had time to try out this pattern, but I suspect it isn't supposed to end each row with the same number of stitches. I've learned the hard way that sometimes patterns, especially lace patterns, don't!

I do wish you well as you tackle this one. If it doesn't go well, be more specific about what, exactly, seems to be the trouble spot. Someone here will be able to help you.

Thank you for sharing the link!
Virginia

·
Registered
735 Posts
my daughters are also knitters and we all say if there is not one mistake in a project then it does not count as hand made. yours look very nice and when you wear it there is no way that anyone will look for a mistake. great work. start something new and enjoy! lol

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom