Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Was just reading the thread on how many projects we all have on the go and i started thinking about why I knit.. Some people knit because they see a beautiful item at the end and really want it, while others just enjoy the knitting itself

I am I believe a "process knitter" meaning I enjoy knitting for itself and the item at the end is just a bonus. I have a good friend who I believe is the other way, wants to get the knitting done so she can enjoy the item

which knitter are you?

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
My grandma taught me to knit as a kid. Then I knit to have something to do when with Grammy and she was knitting or crocheting. As a young mother I knit because back then it was cheaper to make your own clothes than to buy them. Now that I'm retired I knit because I need to keep busy. Also, I have my 1st grand coming in October which gives me a new outlook on my knitting.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I knit because it something I love to do. I knit because it is calming. I can get lost in the process and relax. It is an anxiety breaker. It is a beautiful craft that not only is good for me physically and mentally, it keeps my hands busy while producing a product that will either be nice for my family and surround them with my love that is knitted into every stitch, or that will be of help to another. I also enjoy the process and the product but I find it to be so much more than that.

·
Registered
19,531 Posts
I enjoy the feel of the yarn and the rhythm of knitting or crocheting - my hands feel empty without a project and it isn't comfortable to watch tv without a project on the go. I also enjoy seeing others appreciate the finished projects but it is the process that means the most to me

·
Registered
546 Posts
I must be a process knitter ,I love knitting for all the good reasons and than give most of it away!

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
I enjoy the process. I am ready to move on and enjoy another process and new yarn before the first one is finished and so on until I have about 6 projects on-going. I love yarn and patterns which don't frustrate me. I do always finish what I start and then give it away. That is also a neat part of being able to knit things.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I am mostly a process knitter. There is great satisfaction in the actual knitting and purling. The exception to this is when making doll clothes. Then it is the selection of yarn and how the outfit looks on the doll that is so much fun. I rarely buy yarn for a specific project; I choose the object to be knitted and then "shop" in my stash. Sad to say that my stash is large enough that this process could go on for some time (years?) without any purchases. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
I guess I knit to express my creative side. I almost always look at a pattern to see how I would change it, and I am always thinking of my next project while I am working on a current one. I love the rhythm of knitting; it is so soothing, rather like a rocking chair. My knitting has gotten me through a lot. Interesting question.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I knit and crochet for the process. I don't sit still very well, so having something for my hands to do while watching TV with my family, or sitting in the car for a long drive, or waiting at the doctor's office helps me relax. Most everything I make is a gift. I enjoy giving them but I don't get any satisfaction from the completion.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I think I am a little bit of both - process and project. I enjoy the creativity of making a knitted or crocheted item; I am entranced by some of the amazing yarns (all fibers/styles); and I am challenged by the garments and other items I choose to make.
I have recently finished a toy project (concentric rings that are animals on a palm tree) and I "invented" an additional animal for my toy.
The satisfaction I get, is probably the biggest bonus. I will knit, crochet, sew, needlepoint, cross-stitch for me . . . . and then find someone I can bestow it upon (hopefully, liking or enjoying . . if not passing it on to someone else).

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
ashka said:
Hi All

Was just reading the thread on how many projects we all have on the go and i started thinking about why I knit.. Some people knit because they see a beautiful item at the end and really want it, while others just enjoy the knitting itself

I am I believe a "process knitter" meaning I enjoy knitting for itself and the item at the end is just a bonus. I have a good friend who I believe is the other way, wants to get the knitting done so she can enjoy the item

which knitter are you?
I mostly knit because I enjoy it and I love the outcome of seeing something I made. I marvel that I can do something like that. When I get bored knitting, I will switch to crocheting, so I usually have, at least, one project in both in the works. I am lucky to have family members who enjoy getting handmade items from me.

·
Registered
13,670 Posts
Maybe I am the process knitter...the one who just knits to be knitting. I am making a sweater right now that looks as if it will fit a young teen when I am finished...I was knitting it for an adult. I'm not upset...I hope to find someone that it will fit and then go on to my next project. My gauge was good..so, I don't know what happened.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
ashka said:
Hi All

which knitter are you?
Yes....I think I fit in both categories. I love the process (usually) but am always really anxious to finish when nearing the end - so I can justify starting something else. I do have more than one project on needles all the time.

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
ashka said:
Hi All

which knitter are you?
I am 90% process knitter, 10% product knitter. :) I love the knitting... but I do knit things I need, like socks or sweaters or afghans...

I like to learn/incorporate new techniques or shapes. New stitches. New ways to do things - like different cast ons, different button holes, etc.

When it comes to crochet - I think I'm more the opposite - maybe 20% process (I enjoy the crafting time, and the learning of new stitches/shapes/etc.) and 80% product - I mostly crochet because that is the best method to produce a particular item. Like, if I want a new doily, I pretty much default to crocheting it (though of course it is possible to knit doilies, too).

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom