Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
I'm not sure. Have you tried ralvery? Search for men's scarves and they should have a pattern that gives you the length to make.
I just checked out a few on ralvery and 5 1/2 feet is what one pattern says.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, thanks for your efforts. I was thinking too long at nearly 7 foot but I reckon due to the wool and style, this is in the ball park = thanks again!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks yourmother - will just have to wait until Sunday when he can try it on and tell me what he wants. Otherwise, may knit it too long and I don't want to undo the fancy border and do it again.

·
Banned
13,778 Posts
Well, I might think you really have a crush on that gardener of yours IF he were getting two pair of socks AND a scarf!

Most men like a scarf to hit at the waistline when worn placed around the neck. This gives you a scarf that, when wrapped once around the neck will not hang down below the hem of an average coat (worn inside coat as most men do).

It really depends on (your gardeners...wink) fellows height. You can use any fellow handy and estimate, but 6ft is usually the standard length... IF there is one. Lol

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AmyKnits said:
Well, I might think you really have a crush on that gardener of yours IF he were getting two pair of socks AND a scarf!

Most men like a scarf to hit at the waistline when worn placed around the neck. This gives you a scarf that, when wrapped once around the neck will not hang down below the hem of an average coat (worn inside coat as most men do).

It really depends on (your gardeners...wink) fellows height. You can use any fellow handy and estimate, but 6ft is usually the standard length... IF there is one. Lol
Ok, amyknits, I'll bite and will stop knitting now. This man is taller than the gardener and been a good friend (he is a bachelor) for many, many years. I'm unused to knitting for males but recently he has taken a liking to some of my knitting and he already has two scarves of mine but seems always enthusiastic for new things. Oh dear. Here I am, revealing my personal life. Like you, amy, with a hat on a glass head on display attracting viewers, newly knitted scarves were left in a basket and he asked whether he could have a particular one. I thought it suited him better than it did me (and I have heaps, anyway). My knitting for him started from there.

This new scarf is done in mistake rib and thus somewhat bulky (but knitted on 5mm needles). Another thing I wonder about is whether I should block it or will it must 'relax' of its own volition???

:mrgreen:

·
Banned
13,778 Posts
larlie said:
Ok, amyknits, I'll bite and will stop knitting now. This man is taller than the gardener and been a good friend (he is a bachelor) for many, many years. I'm unused to knitting for males but recently he has taken a liking to some of my knitting and he already has two scarves of mine but seems always enthusiastic for new things. Oh dear. Here I am, revealing my personal life. Like you, amy, with a hat on a glass head on display attracting viewers, newly knitted scarves were left in a basket and he asked whether he could have a particular one. I thought it suited him better than it did me (and I have heaps, anyway). My knitting for him started from there.

This new scarf is done in mistake rib and thus somewhat bulky (but knitted on 5mm needles). Another thing I wonder about is whether I should block it or will it must 'relax' of its own volition???

:mrgreen:
Let me answer your question BEFORE I resume teasing you.... giggle. Mistake rib or pretty much ANY ribbing will not usually require any blocking. Don't spread that around because I am a huge proponent of blocking.... shhh. I think you will get away without it.

IF you really want it to look "picture perfect" for your (ahem... BOY) friend.... you can lie it down and give it a VERY light burst of steam from your iron.... hold the iron 6-8 inches above the scarf and give it a couple bursts of steam, smooth with your hand... patting lightly and moving on to the next section. Now that I've explained the process.. you most likely won't need it... LOL

Hmmmmm.... I can't tell from your avatar, but you MUST be quite the hottie to have TWO men vying for your affection (via knitted gifts) wink wink wink! I got a 14 year old friend of my daughter who just actually wants the actual HAT! YOU have two eligible MEN fighting over you!

Thanks for being a good sport..... :thumbup: ;)

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your daughter's friend was very lucky to get that beautiful hat. Perhaps I should put a notice on my gate - men's socks and scarves free to handsome, single men with great personalities and wicked senses of humor. Please line up here!!!

No, not a hottie at all. I am just me.

Now, seriously, I may just give this scarf a little steam in the way you suggest. But will wait for the model to arrive before deciding....

Thanks for your careful advice Amy and I will take much care if I do steam as I rather like the chunky masculine look to this scarf just as is.

A bit of a giggle this arvo, amy.

·
Banned
13,778 Posts
larlie said:
Your daughter's friend was very lucky to get that beautiful hat. Perhaps I should put a notice on my gate - men's socks and scarves free to handsome, single men with great personalities and wicked senses of humor. Please line up here!!!

No, not a hottie at all. I am just me.

Now, seriously, I may just give this scarf a little steam in the way you suggest. But will wait for the model to arrive before deciding....

Thanks for your careful advice Amy and I will take much care if I do steam as I rather like the chunky masculine look to this scarf just as is.

A bit of a giggle this arvo, amy.
You might want to add "has own money" to that sign... just looking out for your best interests! LOLOL I agree he will have to have a wicked sense of humor to keep up with yours!

Happy Knitting!

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I read somewhere that the general length is approximately the "wingspan" (length of spread arms fingertip to fingertip). My friend knits scarves for charity and knits them approximately 65"-72" (depending on how much yarn is on the skein).

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all replies. I have finished the scarf, measures 70 inches, he is a couple of inches less than 6 foot, so reckon I have it right.
I have read each post carefully so I reckon this length is in keeping with all your advice. Thanks so much.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom