Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what needles do you use most often? I have been using the Susan Bates Velocity nickel plated brass circular needle. I got lots of sizes on a clearance once at hobby lobby.

I use the circular needles for most all my projects. I usually have a few dogs sitting beside me and using circular needles I am not poking them.
I have some bamboo also and like them too. what do you use? and why?

·
Registered
955 Posts
Hi Ladies

I never get sick of answering this question. Through the years I have tried many different needles but now I only ever use Addi's I have dpns, clicks, lace and the old turbos. I knit for a living therefore the cost doesn't affect me so much and they are so smooth and fast that I can't imaging ever knitting with anything else. Unless of course there's a needle company out there wanting to change my mind. :)

Use whatever make you feel good. Just stick with the same ones for the entire project.

Good Luck
Gracie

·
Registered
519 Posts
Have you seen the you tube video of speed knitting. I could not even see what she was doing. Impressive..if you knit for a living perhaps you knit as fast. If I had to rely on my speed or skill at knitting for a living I would be in big trouble
jchags

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have seen that one. That lady don't have my Arthritic fingers. LOL or old eyes! LOL
besides that she will have to pull out more stitches if she notices a mistake later. LOL

·
Registered
286 Posts
I, too use circulars almost exclusively. I purchased a set of Knit Picks Interchangeables in the nsickel plated version and I absolutely love them. I feel they are every bit as good as Addi Turbos at a much better price. I only need individual circulars for very small gauges using size 0-3 needles. I'm hooked on the Magic Loop method so I never need straights or dpns. Joyous Knitting! :D

·
Registered
836 Posts
I have wondered about the differences btwn the "regular"(not sure what they are called,)the circular and the double point needles. Can someone please explain these to me? Thanks.

Kim

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use only Harmony dbl points, and I recently bought the Harmont the interchangeable circular; Love them, love them. They are very smooth, and no snagging on the circulars eithers (just make sure you tighten when you change tips). They are pretty to look at, and great for knitting.
Shauneen

·
Registered
9,165 Posts
Good Morning,

I knit almost constantly and use all types of needles. Regulars as you call them are the straight needles which many people use for knitting sweaters and scarves. Double points are for socks, sleeves (no seams), for things in the round. Circulars, depending on the length, can be used for the above plus large afghans, top-down sweaters; for anything. Putting 200 stitches on straight needles is difficult and heavy. 200 stitches on circulars allows the project to sit in your lap. Your arms are not holding up this project. Your arms don't become tired. I use bamboo circulars for all my projects; either KAs or Skacel Natura. Happy knitting. :)

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
I have been knitting almost all my life and have used every kind available, some I liked and some I didn't. I especially like the ones from Norway with their kits, they are similar to the old Susan Bates needles with the gray color. I have used interchangeable sets and worn them out, but just for fun I tried the square needles available from Kollage Yarns. Saw them advertised somewhere and I like to try new things so ordered some online. I love them and convinced my local yarn shop owner to sell them. I find them easy to use, don't cramp my hands and they fit my fingers so well that I have given away lots of my old needles and use only these.
www.KollageYarns.com check them out. Their circular needles do not curl up and fight you, perfect for the long needle jobs. Let me know what you think of them.

Carol J.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I work best with bamboo. I'm still slow although I learned how to knit about 5 years ago. For various reasons, though, I've been knitting regularly for a little less than a year. I need the "drag" of bamboo and have a difficult time with metal. I imagine with experience, that will change, I certainly hope so. I have 2 straight pairs of needles that are a plastic of some kind that have too much drag even for me. An experienced knitter would go crazy using them. If you are a beginner, bamboo is probably the easiest but if you are an experienced and fast knitter, they'd probably drive you nuts. For me, they are perfect. I use circulars for most projects but find I like straight needles for smaller ones. DPNs with stitch protecters on the end are really nice for anything you can fit on them. I just found a set of straight, 9-inch bamboo needles that I'm going to buy a set of. Bamboo is available very inexpensively from several internet sites, including eBay. Individually from some sites (not eBay except for more expensive needles) and from others (eBay among them) by the set only. I have found the really inexpensive ones work for me as well as some of the more expensive ones available locally. In some ways better because the cables are softer. If there is a longevity problem with them, oh well, they were cheap enough that I will have gotten my money's worth. The needles I like best are birch needles. They fell similar to bamboo, but not quite the same. Other snail-paced knitters would probably like them too.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I first started buying bamboo needles and loved them until the more I used them the duller the points got and snagged my yarn. So I try to buy nickel plated needles now. I love them. Dpns and circulars. As a matter of fact I am thinking of buying the set from knitpicks for my birthday.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I prefer circular bamboo..the yarn does not slip and cause me to drop stitches..especially useful are bamboo dp needles for socks..don't ever want to lose those stitches!! I can hardly see them as it is..have gone to size 1 for a nicer looking finish.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I use the cheap straight needles most, and have them in all sizes and lengths. If making mittens or socks I'll use the double-pointed kind. I've used circular needles and like them a lot for longer/wider items like sweaters or afghans. In my last move, all my circulars got jammed into a box and came out all crookedy... so I googled how to fix them. Here's how: Put them in warm to hot water for a while and then reshape on a flat surface. Good as new!

·
Registered
234 Posts
I use the Harmony circular interchangeables ALL THE TIME. When I have to use double points, I buy the Harmony dps as well. They are available through KnitPicks.com. What I like most is the sharp point on them and the yarns just glide over the wood, which is birch. I have bought some bamboo needles and do not like they as well. Also, knitting with wood is much quieter than knitting with the nickel plated needles.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Thanks for so many replies to my question. I just bought one pair of cheap straight needles when I decided to start learning to knit so I am grateful for the tips on what ones to get next.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I HAVE A WHOLE SET OF SUSAN BATES SILVER NEEDLES AND USE THEM MOST BUT WILL USE ANYTHING I HAVE WHEN I
HAVE SEVERAL PROJECTS GOING....I LIKE SB NEEDLES BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT TOO SLIPPERY AND FEEL GOOD ON MY HANDS...I LIKE 10 AND 14 INCH NEEDLES THE BEST BUT USE ALL KINDS OF NEEDLES.

·
Registered
170 Posts
When you are first learning to knit is the time to buy bamboo or some other wooden needle. It makes it noticibly easier to knit. I only wish I could wean myself off onto metal more effectively. Clover are the most commonly available bamboo circulars available and the cables on them are awful because they are so stiff. I will never buy them again. If I were ever to buy a set of wooden circular needles, I'd certainly look at Harmony. If anyone wants bargain bamboo circulars (with flexible cables), you can get a set (0-15) for $25 at http://www.eknittingneedles.com/ or 3.99 each with free shipping for orders over 15.00. You can buy sets on eBay for $25 or under, some with free shipping. I've been happier with these cheap bamboo circular needles than with Clover. The Clover cables look more durable but they are so stiff they are impossible to use. I have solid birch straight-point needles that I like better than bamboo. If the composit birch Harmony are as nice as the solid birch they must be very nice to knit with. My only caveat is that I'd want to be sure the cables are adequately flexible.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Still have my old metal needles from years ago, but recently started using bamboo. I also have the Denise interchangable and do like them. They are like a hard rubber and aren't too smooth nor do they snag like some of the bamboo. I have found I have to use fine sand paper on my bamboo at times to stop a snag from occuring.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom