Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, as a first timer on this forum I would like to find out what happened to the wool "PLY " that used to be on all wool labels here in the land of Oz. I have some beautiful Vera Moda Pappagallo yarn & it says to use 7mm needles but I need to know the ply to find a pattern.....thanks

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
(((((((((( You can unply your yarn and find how many strands there are on it; Just pull it apart some.

Other uses for unplying yarn:

To make tiny repairs on a FO like using sewing thread where you think the full ply would be too thick.

To embroider on a FO when you don't want the whole strand/ply.

To thread through a small button shank you want to add to the FO of the same yarn but don't want to use sewing thread on a yarn item.
I use two strands of cotton yarn out of the 4 play to sew
buttons on my 100% knit, hanging, buttoned hand
towel; Works in the kitchen or bath.

Good luck!
~~~~~~~~

on
queenbee23 said:
Hi everyone, as a first timer on this forum I would like to find out what happened to the wool "PLY " that used to be on all wool labels here in the land of Oz. I have some beautiful Vera Moda Pappagallo yarn & it says to use 7mm needles but I need to know the ply to find a pattern.....thanks

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
I'm a spinner. Ply is no longer used as it once was. Today you can have worsted, chunky, bulky and super bulky yarns that are single ply. That wasn't true years ago. Today yarns are marketed by "weight" not ply, though England (I hear) still markets by ply.

Ply is now used to describe the number of strands that have been plied together to spin the yarn, yet this still doesn't address the issue of weight rating or gauge.

It's like ounces and grams...some yarns are sold in ounces and some in grams. I generally find that yarns sold by the ounce measurement are cheap acrylics (manufactured in China, Malaysia or Turkey) and those sold by the gram measurement are fine quality natural fiber. Just my experience.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom