Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to crochet a little summer dress for a toddler, but don't know if I should use size 3 or 10 thread? Don't want the thread to be as thick as yarn, but don't want it as thin as sewing thread. Is 3 thicker or thinner than 10, and what are they comparable to? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Hi, according to what I've read, the smaller the number the thicker the thread. #3 is comparable to yarn and it gets thinner from there up.
Crochet cotton is denser than yarn and therefore stronger, Sugar & Cream is considered 4 ply and I like it for making headbands and potholders, so #10 would be much thinner, more like string and good for making lace.
Hope this helps!

Lois

·
Registered
262 Posts
sunansand101 said:
I want to crochet a little summer dress for a toddler, but don't know if I should use size 3 or 10 thread? Don't want the thread to be as thick as yarn, but don't want it as thin as sewing thread. Is 3 thicker or thinner than 10, and what are they comparable to? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I don't use anything but #10....it's the size you use to make doilies and I use it for doll dresses. I "think" that #5 is larger, but I'm not sure, so #3 would be even larger still....that's just an impression, I don't know. And I don't think you'd want to use smaller than #10.

I made a knit dress years ago for my daughter (wish I still had that!) - and it was #10 yarn, and (maybe) sz. 7 needle, or so...I don't remember that.

Hope you've got it started by now, since this is apparently an old post!

Have a great week!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom