Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
20 stitches in dk weight is too few for any single circular needle. You can do as suggested and get a long circular for magic loop or use double pointed needles or use two same size circular needles

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
In DK weight, 20 stitches would measure maybe 4 inches (10 cm) in circumference. Magic loop is a possible technique; for that I prefer at least a 40 inch circular. Using two circulars is also a possibility (my personal favourite for this type of thing). Of course, you could also use double-pointed needles. There isn’t a circular needle short enough to use in the conventional way for 20 stitches in DK weight.

·
Registered
23,222 Posts
Marbil65 said:
I have never used circular needles and need to know size of circular needles needed for a toy with 20stitches in DK yarn. Thanks in advance.
I use a 40" circular for everything ..using Magic Loop techniquekets me knit even the smallest number of stitches with ease, andI never need to use DPNs even down to 3 stitches.
Another bonus...I do not need multiple lengths of the same needle size.

·
Registered
52,611 Posts
spete73000 said:
There's are also nine inch, ten inch and twelve inch circulars. I mostly use a nine inch, but also use two circulars.. and the circulars can be any length you want.
Don't think that 20 DK weight stitches would fit on a 9".
I would use magic loop but double pointers would also work well as would 2 circulars.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Is there a tutorial that is especially good (easy to follow) on the Magic Loop? On using two circulars? On using DPNs?
Being a novice knitter, I'd really like to practice these techniques a few times so I won't shy away from patterns that use them.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
joyceagnes said:
Is there a tutorial that is especially good (easy to follow) on the Magic Loop? On using two circulars? On using DPNs?
Being a novice knitter, I'd really like to practice these techniques a few times so I won't shy away from patterns that use them.

Thanks in advance.
Here's an excellent video on using the two circulars technique:

·
Registered
52,611 Posts
joyceagnes said:

Thanks in advance.
Under my posts is a link to workshops run here on KP. Included is one on magic loop; there is also one on 2 socks on two circulars which includes how to knit with two circulars. The magic loop workshop is specifically magic loop. If my memory holds me right (and having taught it I would hope it is pretty accurate) they is the option of 4 ply/fingering weight fingerless mittens or an 8 ply/DK hat.

There are also many other workshops lead by various KP members so well worth a look to see waht else is there as well.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I accidentally found Nervous Knitter has a video on Magic Loop. It helped me, along with Very Pink, to learn Magic Loop. It took me three or four practice sessions before I finally got the hang of it, but I'm still getting used to it. But I don't think I'll go back to DPNs. I am now in the process of knitting leg warmers for family members.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom