Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19,648 Posts
I do do it on a flat surface and ensure that the piece is relaxed (not stretched) so that I get the true dimensions.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
My mother was always very firmly of the opinion that measuring should be done on a smooth surface such as a table top, and I have always followed her instructions. It seems sound advice to me - on a carpet or similar surface there will be a certain amount of 'drag' which could make the result quite inaccurate.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I agree. Happy knitting:)
Kathleendoris said:
My mother was always very firmly of the opinion that measuring should be done on a smooth surface such as a table top, and I have always followed her instructions. It seems sound advice to me - on a carpet or similar surface there will be a certain amount of 'drag' which could make the result quite inaccurate.

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
Kathleendoris said:
I agree too. (Pus it's good motivation to clean off the kitchen table!! :) )

·
Registered
10,123 Posts
Here's a variation on the theme: When measuring for the length of a sweater, I hold the work with the needle-end up sorta high, place my measuring tape so the it begins just below the needle, and uncurl the tape to the bottom of my work (the beginning of the ribbing), and take that measure. I feel that the sweater will "hang" approx. like it would fit when worn. Am I deluding myself?????

·
Registered
776 Posts
Glory Gee in CT said:
Here's a variation on the theme: When measuring for the length of a sweater, I hold the work with the needle-end up sorta high, place my measuring tape so the it begins just below the needle, and uncurl the tape to the bottom of my work (the beginning of the ribbing), and take that measure. I feel that the sweater will "hang" approx. like it would fit when worn. Am I deluding myself?????
I measure like that too and also leave the knitting to relax a bit before hanging it up to measure so that it gets to the right size.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
If that method works for you, then it is 'right'. The main reason for needing to accurately measure a piece of work is to ensure that it will match other parts of a garment e.g. when knitting a jumper, to be sure that the edges on the front and back will match when seamed together. I don't think that I could do this by your method - I simply don't have enough hands! But there is never a way to do things that is right for everyone and I would never claim that everyone should do things my way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom