Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have started the Valentine Gnome - this is the bottom and what I have so far although I don't know if the crab stitch is right. I also did not know how to end the row so I may have slip stitched but it does not look right

Rnd 8: Change color grey ,- only from front loops -Sc in all 42 st [42]
Rnd 8: from back loops with grey do crab stitch
Rnd 9-32: Sc in all 42 st [42] (24rows)

How do you SC into the crab stitch - I have not found anything that addresses where and how to work those
stitches. I sure hope someone has made this

Petal Textile Plant Creative arts Fruit
Creative arts Fawn Art Ornament Font

· Registered
10,789 Posts
Here's my best Guess:

I think that having done the crab stitch (round 8) in front loop only (of round 7), perhaps the single crochet stitches for round 9 should be done in the remaining loop (back loop) of round 7, so that you are working upwards from the base. The Crab stitch (round 8) formed a nice edging on the base of the gnome. That's how I see it, anyways.

· Registered
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is round 7:
Rnd 7: (Sc in each of next 5 st, inc in next st) x 6 [42]

This is terribly confusing with all those rds that don't mean what I think they should mean, maybe I will try to find a loop somewhere that I can SC into and see if it works out otherwise it will be going into my frog pile. I do thank you for your response

· Registered
2,397 Posts
If the crab stitch is only to beef-up the edge, you could frog only that round. One alternative is to simply slip-stitch around. This is nice to make an edge a bit firmer.
Another alternative is the twisted sc. I've done this stich only a tiny bit & takes a bit of practice to be consistant.
Both are done in a forward motion and may be easier (and neater) to work your next round.
Or, as some have said, work the crab stitch into 1 loop only & the next rnd into the remaining loop
Don't give up! There are no crochet police here! Do what works for YOU!

· Registered
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, nothing worked for me. I still think the pattern is wrong and that crab stitch should be part of the white base since that is where the crab stitch is shown. The color change should be after the crab stitch, not before ... at least those are my thoughts. I have removed the crab stitch and will try again, maybe tomorrow.

If crab stitch is done on the front stitch, then that is another thing wrong with the pattern.

· Registered
20,737 Posts
Could you please share a link to the pattern. Searching turned up too many for me to go through and the ones I did see didn't look like your pictures.

· Registered
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

· Super Moderator
Name on Ravelry: JessicaJean, no hyphen, no space.
89,195 Posts

· Registered
20,737 Posts
link is there
I must have been blind before. Now I see it. A miracle? Thanks for pointing out the obvious to me.

If the crab stitch is only to beef-up the edge, you could frog only that round. One alternative is to simply slip-stitch around. This is nice to make an edge a bit firmer.
I like this idea. I've only ever used crab stitch as the last row or round and hate working it at all.

· Super Moderator
Name on Ravelry: JessicaJean, no hyphen, no space.
89,195 Posts
I must have been blind before. Now I see it. A miracle? Thanks for pointing out the obvious to me.
The link wasn’t there when we replied, or it would have shown up in our quote/reply.

· Registered
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am sorry, but I did not post it after your comments. In fact, I went and got the link right after reading post from Grumpy Grandma and it was the last post when I did it.

· Registered
11,037 Posts
Rnd 8: Change color grey ,- only from front loops -Sc in all 42 st [42]
Rnd 8: from back loops with grey do crab stitch
Rnd 9-32: Sc in all 42 st [42] (24rows)

How do you SC into the crab stitch - I have not found anything that addresses where and how to work those
stitches. I sure hope someone has made this
You don't crochet into the crab stitch. Change to the grey, and make your single crochet stitches ONLY in the front loops. So, you are only working in the part of the V of the stitch from the previous round that is facing you. Then, you stay on that round, but now work crab stitches in the BACK loop only. You are working twice around working into the round 7 stitches, once with single crochet, then again with the crab stitch. In the next round, round 9 - you will work your single crochet stitches in the regular way, into the single crochet stitches from round 8.

I hope my explanation helps.

· Registered
10,240 Posts
Another alternative is the twisted sc. I've done this stich only a tiny bit & takes a bit of practice to be consistant.
Both are done in a forward motion and may be easier (and neater) to work your next round.
Or, as some have said, work the crab stitch into 1 loop only & the next rnd into the remaining loop
Don't give up! There are no crochet police here! Do what works for YOU!
I'm not a very good crocheter. What's the twisted single crochet?

· Registered
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You don't crochet into the crab stitch. Change to the grey, and make your single crochet stitches ONLY in the front loops. So, you are only working in the part of the V of the stitch from the previous round that is facing you. Then, you stay on that round, but now work crab stitches in the BACK loop only. You are working twice around working into the round 7 stitches, once with single crochet, then again with the crab stitch. In the next round, round 9 - you will work your single crochet stitches in the regular way, into the single crochet stitches from round 8.

I hope my explanation helps.
Thank you Roxy-it did help to point me in the right direction. I was thinking the BLO was in back when facing me when it it actually in the front....need to reverse my thinking

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top Bottom