Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my old Physical Therapist yesterday for my free fix me up. He's great, made me feel much better, I slept better last night, etc. Here's the problem. His wife owns the practice with him and is also a PT. This woman is downright scary although I know she doesn't mean to be. The word to describe her is militant. My own surgeon has used that word to describe her.
Anyway, my PT was upset with me for not letting him know sooner that I was in pain and he asked me to please let him know on Monday or Tuesday how I was feeling. His wife speaks up, and mind you this is in front of two other patients, and says, "No don't call Monday or Tuesday, call in a month when we have gotten paid by the insurance." I was flabbergasted! There has been an issue and some confusion with the whole workman's comp thing pending and all so they weren't getting paid but now it's been approved. It's all so crazy. I understand where she is coming from but she is not my PT her husband is and now I feel like I shouldn't ever call. Her husband didn't say anything I think he was embarrassed as was I.

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
Sounds like she has no business being in a service industry.
Call anyway.

·
Registered
11,872 Posts
Number 1 issue-she broke HIPPA here-no medical professional is to discuss issues about 1 patient in front of others. Number 2 go back and ignore the woman. She obviously has problems and I believe it is a real Diagnosis-There are some people who have difficulty with appropriate communication, it has to do with the frontal cortex and not being able to moderate what comes out of their mouth. Your WC carrier has to pay the bill if the treatment is related to your injury. Comp carriers have 30 days to pay a bill once received in their office. During that time they may send it out to get a review done on it and then pay "Reasonable and Customary" amounts for the diagnosis code. You are NOT responsible for the unpaid balance. That is Fed. and State law!

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Nurses are accountable for their actions and have a governing body in Canada and the US. Doctors Chiropractors and Lawyers etc are as well.

A few things happened here. Your right to confidentiality was violated as his partner yelled out that your bill wasn't paid and the method that it should have been paid.

You were belittled and to make it worse, in front of everyone else. This causing stress which is counter productive to your healing.

Your PT is accountable for all the office workers and assistants even if he is married to one and she owns the business. By not handling the situation he is negligent.
I would have a talk with her and him if you are too shy or get no where then I would report this to their governing body. I tried looking it up for you but because I am here in Canada I was getting Canadian info. I did see some references to licensed Physio therapists for New York so I too am sure they have a governing body.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Change therapists and let them worry about why; it's not your problem. If you change now, I think Mr Embarrassed and Mrs Jerk will work out for themselves why they've lost a customer, and why should you wait when in pain.

My own doctor suggested he videotape the consultation for a sore throat, and then he suggested he give me a Pap smear. He'd never offered one before. I told him "I go to Family Planning for all that sort of stuff", and got my records transferred over to a female Doctor at another practice shortly after, dumping him. Sinister people around, eh.

They don't own our bodies - they're our employees.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Violation of privacy act..HIPPA!!!!! Not to smart on her part, I would defiantly discuss this issue with her husband your PT! If this is not rectified and his wife/partner, does not apologize and clean up her little attitude, I would change PT and tell workmans comp why, as I do believe they ask.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Omnivore said:
Change therapists and let them worry about why; it's not your problem. If you change now, I think Mr Embarrassed and Mrs Jerk will work out for themselves why they've lost a customer, and why should you wait when in pain.

My own doctor suggested he videotape the consultation for a sore throat, and then he suggested he give me a Pap smear. He'd never offered one before. I told him "I go to Family Planning for all that sort of stuff", and got my records transferred over to a female Doctor at another practice shortly after, dumping him. Sinister people around, eh.
They don't own our bodies - they're our employees.
I have to tell you, despite this issue which I was very angry about, I would never go to another PT. He really is the best in this area, is known as THE back guy and my surgeon will not send his patients anywhere else. What stands him apart is that he will work on you at no cost, he calls you at home to be sure you're ok, gives his home number, email etc. I'm not the first person to have an issue with his wife. I'm taking care of it. My best friend is my surgeon's receptionist, she also has had run ins with her. I told her the situation. She'll talk to my Doc...all will be well again.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I would remind your PT & his wife that they are in violation of the HIPPA Act &, should you want to do so, you could cause them alot of trouble. I would then tell your PT that you prefer to deal with him & do not want his wife interferring with your care or your business. They could lose their practice if this is something she does regularly.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know a lot of people have issues with her. I almost wonder if it isn't a cultural thing. She is from Holland and just has a different way with people. Who knows?

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Stablebummom said:
Number 1 issue-she broke HIPPA here-no medical professional is to discuss issues about 1 patient in front of others. Number 2 go back and ignore the woman. She obviously has problems and I believe it is a real Diagnosis-There are some people who have difficulty with appropriate communication, it has to do with the frontal cortex and not being able to moderate what comes out of their mouth. Your WC carrier has to pay the bill if the treatment is related to your injury. Comp carriers have 30 days to pay a bill once received in their office. During that time they may send it out to get a review done on it and then pay "Reasonable and Customary" amounts for the diagnosis code. You are NOT responsible for the unpaid balance. That is Fed. and State law!
This absolutely the law. My sister is head of claims at her company & this person violated the HIPPA law

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
missylam said:
Stablebummom said:
This absolutely the law. My sister is head of claims at her company & this person violated the HIPPA law
I agree that HIPPA was violated. It's her I have an issue with not my PT (her husband)...like I said, he is absolutely amazing both as a PT and a human being. I'll figure out a way to broach the subject with him. I know that my friend who I mentioned previously had an out right argument with this woman and she did apologize to my friend and said that her husband tells her all the time that she speaks without thinking.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
This isn't a frontal cortex problem. This is just plain, ordinary, run of the mill rude. Plus, the woman is full of anger. Culture might play some part, but rude is just rude. In any culture.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
StitchDesigner said:
This isn't a frontal cortex problem. This is just plain, ordinary, run of the mill rude. Plus, the woman is full of anger. Culture might play some part, but rude is just rude. In any culture.
You're right...she is rude. I've been trying to give her the benefit of the doubt because I respect and like her husband so much...

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
It sounds to me like the husband is a wonderful caring person. I would guess there may be some tension between them (due to his not always charging patients) and that the wife's comment was aimed at him NOT you. Since they are in business together, his seeing patients without charging them does affect her as well. She will need to see more patients to make ends meet. She was totally unprofessional, but may have just been very frustrated.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You have a good point and that very well may be it. I do not think they are hurting however...trust me...their business is thriving. They each take a day off during the week, the wife just got back from visiting family in Holland then they all went to Greece two weeks later. No...money is not an issue but yes I'm sure she gets frustrated with him. She used to make little comments too like he used to put my sneakers on for me and tie them after I had been on his table, simply because he didn't want me bending. She passed by and made a comment about how he never did that for her. He replied that she didn't NEED him to do that for her.

·
Registered
41,373 Posts
IF there is ever another comment, very calmly and immediately say something to the effect that "You have just violated my HIPPA rights for the #rd time. In the future, if you have an issue with me, please have your husband, my PT, discuss it with me in private as is the law and simply common courtesy..." If she apologizes, don't be rude but don't back off.... say something like ..... "An apology would not be necessary if you were adhering to the leter of the law. I hope this type of thing will not happen again. It is a reportable offense..." Practie ahead of time too.... We are never able to comeu p with a good response when caught off guard.... but this person is a professional, knows better and needs to be reminded. You don't have to be friends and you can certainly tell her husband in private, duing treatment, how much you admire him and appreciate his care but will not tolerate being treated in an unprofessional manner..... (OK I'm off the soap box...)

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I talked to my surgeon about what happened yesterday. He is calling my PT today and telling him to keep the wife away from the patients that he (my surgeon) sends to him as she is detrimental to their health. About 80% of the PT's business comes from my surgeon so the wife should remember that fact.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom