Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/postcards-tee

I have never liked pullover sweaters because I always get too hot; I prefer cardigans. That said, I saw a pattern I liked, got it and the yarn, and without thinking (I'm sure) bought the pattern and started making it. Now, 1/3 done, I'm thinking that it will probably be too hot (it calls for worsted weight) and I'll probably only wear it once or twice. So,do you think I should hold my breath and take it all apart and use the yarn for something else or go ahead and finish it? Yes, I've got a lot of hours of work in it, but more ahead if I finish it. I can't say as I'm learning new things doing it, honestly. Those of you that have knitted for awhile are much more experienced than I. What is your advice to me? I will defer to your advice, and I thank you.

· Registered
19,648 Posts
You could do the front as an asymetric cardigan with a single button at the neckline. Work each side to the big colour block and either have a garter stitch edge (add on extra stitches) or sew on a rib border at the end - matching your colour blocks.

Too pretty not to keep and wear!

· Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your advice. I guess I will finish it, I just might be surprised. I hadn't taken into account how heavy worsted would be. But You know best, that's why I asked you. Honestly, my interest is waning, but I will finish.

· Registered
41,373 Posts
Good advise..... If you are using the exact yarn called for, you may be pleaseantly surprised. The weight is not as important as the content. This is a summer sweater, short sleeved.. so the yarn should be suitable for warm weather or warm people....... Sure is cute. If you don't like it, someone will be lucky to recieve it and you'll get credit for a great handknit gift.....

· Registered
7,578 Posts
It's a great looking sweater, and being short sleeved I would hope you wouldn't get too hot wearing it. Also, it's a cotton yarn, if you're using the Tahki Charles Ripple called for, and I would think that wouldn't be too hot.

· Registered
5,714 Posts
3mom said:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/postcards-tee

I have never liked pullover sweaters because I always get too hot; I prefer cardigans. That said, I saw a pattern I liked, got it and the yarn, and without thinking (I'm sure) bought the pattern and started making it. Now, 1/3 done, I'm thinking that it will probably be too hot (it calls for worsted weight) and I'll probably only wear it once or twice. So,do you think I should hold my breath and take it all apart and use the yarn for something else or go ahead and finish it? Yes, I've got a lot of hours of work in it, but more ahead if I finish it. I can't say as I'm learning new things doing it, honestly. Those of you that have knitted for awhile are much more experienced than I. What is your advice to me? I will defer to your advice, and I thank you.
I'd frog it and make something I would actually use. That's too much time, effort, and expense to force yourself to finish it when your original intention was NOT to make a sale item but something for yourself.

It's your assets and you deserve better, IMHO.

Ohio Joy.

· Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
inishowen said:
I'm knitting a sweater for myself in wool. It too, is turning out very heavy and rather scratchy. I will keep going, and wear it in very cold weather when I'm sure I'll be glad of it.
Guess we're both in the same boat, huh?

· Registered
3,408 Posts
Mkelley30 said:
Why don't you steek up the front, add a button band, and make it a cardigan.
This sounds like a good solution for your sweater. Since you liked the pattern enough to buy it and the yarn, make it so you will get a usable for you pattern.

· Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have considered shagging it and making a cardigan, but unfortunately, most of it is in wool. I can't imagine what I was thinking. Well, I can, too. Just of the pattern. Anyway, I will be very, very careful taking it apart and find a cardigan I like just as well and use it. Then I will really get usage out of it. And, thinking about it, the experience of not being so impetuous was worth the time. I thank you all for your advice, I'm glad I asked you.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom