Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before Christmas, I made a prayer shawl for a friend with cancer. When she rang to thank me, she asked if I would finish a sweater for her grand daughter, as her eyes were failing. She explained that there were some mistakes, and I would probably want to frog it. I didn't see her to receive the article. At her funeral, her daughter said she would like her mum's wishes fulfilled, and her husband gave me the parcel last week. The back and front had been completed.
I thought about ripping it back because of the mistakes and loose knitting, particularly at some edges, but then decided that her grandaughter would probably prefer the jumper as it was, because her grandma had at least knitted part of it for her, instead of it being made by a stranger (me).
Having finished the sleeves and neck, and tried to sew it up, one of the raglan sleeves is a little bunched up because of the loose knitting. What would you have done? :cry:

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Leave it and add to it! It will mean more. She can always buy a perfect sweater...can never get one from her grandma....

·
Registered
11,991 Posts
Yes, I would... a letter, I guess, not just a note. In time she will have some fade memory of grandma - especially if they lived in different cities... But in 20, 30, 40 years this will have so much more meaning. Write the story to her...

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
By all means, finish the sweater the best you can and then weite about her grandmother as HandyFamily suggests. The memories years from now will mean more than a "perfect" sweater. And blessings on you for taking the sweater and finishing it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
You absolutely did the right thing, in my opinion! I had a very similar situation just a few months ago. A friend-of-a-friend, whose health had made it impossible for her to finish a sweater for her son, needed a knitter who could pick up where she left off. I took on the challenge willingly (it was a not-difficult cable-and-seed-stitch pattern) and then realized she had made a few mistakes -- which I don't think would be visible to anyone but an experienced knitter (i.e., the spacing between cable twists varied, as if her row count was thrown off halfway through). I made the same decision you did... I considered it HER work and her love that had gone into it for months, and I was just a "technician" who offered some mechanical help to finish it off. I decided it wasn't my place to play "perfectionist" even though that's my tendency on my own work. I couldn't bring myself to do anything but continue on with the product I was given -- no frogging of the oodles of love that this elderly mother had already invested!

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
What a wonderful gift you are giving this little girl. Yes, just add to it and do the best you can. Write her a letter explaining the whole thing, and all of the things that her grandmother had said to you about it. She will cherish it, and it will mean more and more as the years go by. Bless your heart. GG

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
A handmade gift is from the heart.
IMHO when she looks at the sweater, she will see the stitches her GM completed - perfect or not - were made with love.
The stitches you add show your love for your friend.
I would certainly include a note explaining both the love the GM sent and the love for your friend that you send.

What a wonderful contribution to the friendship you have made.

How fortunate that your friend had you, a knitting friend, to help her "complete" her gift.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I agree with everybody else, I would have left it alone and finished it with as little changes as possible. The mistakes of her grandma don't matter, that grandma was thinking of her g'daughter does.
A note would be invaluable for the girl to keep and cherish.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
You are giving a gift that as time goes on will be an treasured family heirloom. I would not worry about the sleeves not lining up perfectly. Just mention in the note that her grandmother loved her so much that last project was meant for her. As her health failed she was not able to make the sweater perfect, but put in so much love that, that love could not be contained.

You are a blessing to the family and future generations of your friends family.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
I think you have received a lot of good, loving advice here. No matter what the little girl does with the garment, you have given her a great memento of her nana.

I am sorry you lost your friend. You sound like you were a very good friend to her. My best thoughts to you.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I would have done exactly the same thing as you. To have something that her granny had started will be so special to her. So what if its not perfect in the finish, It will be perfect to her. You definately did the right thing. Good on you. Cheers Gee.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just read your story and was brought to tears. it is amazing how you can hear such a short story about a stranger, and be mover so much....i pray you do not alter this sweater. you are an angel sent from heaven to finish something.... every flaw is a kiss from heaven.

·
Registered
12,145 Posts
First, probably cried buckets!
Then: Leave what grandma had done alone and do my best with the rest.
Bless your heart for doing such a nice thing.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom