Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have you ever wondered what level your knitting skill is at? I have just watched this interesting video clip on You Tube about this. I didn't have to listen for very long, as I'm only up to Advanced Beginner Level 3!

If it appeals, how much further can you get, and can you please report back to us with your current knitting skill level? Hoping somebody else is at my same level!!

Here's the link:

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
I guess I'm between Intermediate and Experienced. I can do a few from the Experienced category. I was surprised to learn that steeking is an Intermediate skill. I still can't use dp needles but can knit in the round using alternate methods. It seems that I'm a little bit of this and a little bit of that. It's fun to keep learning and advancing my skills

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
I’m an Intermediate 4 after learning to read charts, knitting lace shawls and Aran jumpers (multiple cables). It’s been a wonderful journey thanks to many generous KP members and designers (Stevieland, Swedenme, Leanna etc etc). Jen.

·
Registered
11,011 Posts
That was interesting!
I have the knowledge of master knitter but I never did any steeking. I know how but I don't care for all that color work and style. 2,3 colors maybe as an edge but not the whole project. Granted, I saw some pretty pieces but I would not make it. Maybe Kaffe Fassetts, there are few I really like.
There are shoulder shaping styles- all knitted in one piece that I need to get better at it and learn to knit it without following pattern but as long as I can understand the pattern, it is all good.
Lace, too many YO's and I am in trouble not paying attention to it.
Some projects, I get bored and some I could make over and over. Not sure why. I love cables.
I learned early when young about shaping. etc. We had no patterns so I had to figure out what to do. With lots of ripping out and reknitting you get to learn what works and what not.
Duplicating things from picture comes pretty easy for me, specially when it comes to sewing. The same with cooking. I taste something and for the most part I can duplicate it. But I'm on the spectrum/ Asperger and I think that might help. I was always very "crafty" and visual since I was little so maybe I am just lucky.
I absolutely have no patience to teach anybody. I can tell you how things are done and I can write instruction but that's about it.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
I guess I'm a beginner. I don't make garments and I've never done the mattress stitch. I was getting bored with his story so it was a good excuse to stop.
I do lace, provisional cast ons, cables, and all that kind of thing, but I've never made a sweater or socks. I get bored with stockinette or garter stitch so I'm always pushing my limits with lace or fancy cables or things that keep me interested.
Truthfully I'd call myself an advanced beginner with forays into intermediate.
ps I also work off charts although I prefer written instructions, my astigmatism makes charts annoying.

·
Super Moderator
82,750 Posts
Yay, I'm not alone anymore!!
No one is ever alone at whatever ‘level’ they are. It’s just that our obsession with yarnplay is usually a solitary activity. We don’t often congregate in large groups. Maybe most of us are introverts by nature?

Quite full of myself, I’d say I’m nearly at the top level by the classifications in that video. There are things I know how to do, but haven’t yet done myself (steeking, designing my own fitted garment from start to finish), and there are things I just did - never thinking they were particularly difficult, though others quake at the thought (lace, charts, cables, joining pieces - any non-sewing method! - altering patterns to suit my taste).

There’s only one sure way to advance at ANYTHING. Practice. As long as you’re enjoying the activity, all’s good!! 👍🎉

·
Registered
11,855 Posts
According to the video I'm a master knitter, although I never would have thought so... It's a God given talent as I could do many of the things he mentioned, from very young.

These days I knit only things I know I'll be happy with the fit of; socks, scarves, gloves, blankets, hats, berets, items for my own grandkids etc. I stopped knitting pullovers and cardigans for myself in my 30s after I was disappointed with how a self designed, intarsia pullover, looked on my less than slim body. 😁 😁
I still enjoy making things without patterns. They don't always work out how I hope though, but the making is still fun. Sometimes I frog and redo several times... I'm no teacher though. Knowing how to do something doesn't mean I have the talent to teach others... 😊 My mum was a master knitter plus. I'm not as good as she was. 😁

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
According to his video, I would be considered a master knitter. Knitting has been a part of my life for almost as long as I can remember and a constant source of both joy and frustration. I'm always learning something in this craft and that's what keeps me going. It gives me my outlet to express myself and my creativity. I don't think skill level really has a whole lot to do with the enjoyment I get out of working with yarn. I think back to when I first started knitting and how proud I was of some of my early projects full of mistakes. Nowadays, I would not be pleased with those same results but I still love knitting and everything to do with yarn.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
According to his video, I would be considered a master knitter. Knitting has been a part of my life for almost as long as I can remember and a constant source of both joy and frustration. I'm always learning something in this craft and that's what keeps me going. It gives me my outlet to express myself and my creativity. I don't think skill level really has a while lot to do with the enjoyment I get out of working with yarn. I think back to when I first started knitting and how proud I was of some of my early projects full of mistakes. Nowadays, I would not be pleased with those same results but I still love knitting and everything to do with yarn.
Thanks for your awesome post! I think once you get the 'yarn bug' it's with you for life!!

·
Registered
11,855 Posts
I don’t believe there’s anything “God given” about it, unless you mean the stubbornness to keep at it until you GET it. 👍
I could just do stuff easily from very young after I learnt to knit. I did short rows in one of the first items I knit... I found reading patterns easy... Was knitting lace and cables early on... Worked out how to adapt patterns to suit myself. It all just came 'naturally'. I didn't usually have to keep at things. I generally just 'got' them straight away and imagined everyone else was the same... Just me and my needles. 😊

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
... I generally just 'got' them straight away and imagined everyone else was the same... Just me and my needles. 😊
Yeah this is why I suck at teaching people things so I've been told. I don't understand why people don't "get it" and I get frustrated trying to explain it in a way they will understand. I've been told talking louder doesn't mean the message it coming in clearer. 😤😊 Thankfully, I can now cop out and send them to YouTube or tell them to Google it for themselves. 👍

·
Registered
11,855 Posts
Yeah this is why I suck at teaching people things so I've been told. I don't understand why people don't "get it" and I get frustrated trying to explain it in a way they will understand. I've been told talking louder doesn't mean the message it coming in clearer. 😤😊 Thankfully, I can now cop out and send them to YouTube or tell them to Google it for themselves. 👍
I was once asked to teach a group of ladies a particular technique. I could do it quite well, but after a 3 hour class, not one of those 12 or so ladies had got it!!!. 😐 That's when I knew I was not a teacher... 😁

·
Registered
11,011 Posts
Reading couple of follow up posts, I'm glad to see that I am not the only one seeing people not getting it. I thought all people are like me till I got older realizing people can't do thing or have hard time learning it.
I guess some of us are really lucky being born with talents.

1 - 20 of 179 Posts
Top Bottom