Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
141 - 160 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
What does ist matter which level one's knitting skill is - as long as it is fun for the knitter?!
If you fancy a certain pattern or project, then you will definitely master it.
At least that's what I believe!
Great answer…if you ever find it. I am totally lost on the new KP …moved to Texas because of my sick husband and thought I found a friend….but not anymore!😢

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
Great answer…if you ever find it. I am totally lost on the new KP …moved to Texas because of my sick husband and thought I found a friend….but not anymore!😢
I am certainly NOT a fan of the new look.
Much more annoying to get around and make it work.
What HAS improved, is being able to ‘HIDE’ all the forums I DO NOT wish to see under new topics. Hide those and you are essentially seeing only your subscribed to forums. Like the old KP.
It’s a ‘work-around’ but it works! And you only need to do it once, from your profile.
After I read the new topics (and, annoyingly), new posts from previously read topics that I chose not to follow, I mark the ‘new’ topics as read … so all of those forums will be marked read.
Not the best system but better than what they first provided.
I really think new comments on old threads should NOT appear as ‘NEW’.
That is probably my biggest peeve.
I probably miss several new topics because the new comments are above them in the list and I know I have already read those threads so I skip them. Which means I think I have finished with all the new topics.

If members would put detailed titles on their posts, it would greatly help me figure out if I have already read them.

AND if only new TOPICS would come up bold, and ‘unbold’ after being read.

I just don’t see WHY new comments need to appear under NEW.
If interested, people are already following the thread and new comments come directly to your email.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I find labels and gradients like this to be more daunting than they are helpful.

Not everyone learns in the same linear progression, and there are lots of people who shy away from projects because they don't feel capable - in spite of the fact that those projects are perfectly within their ability envelope. I've taught, dabbled in professional paid design for some major labels, led workshops and privately published patterns in everything from colorwork to lace, with a special emphasis on knitting in the round. I have started people on the traditional two straights US #8s with Aran weight yarn, and I have started other people on DPNs with sock yarn - there is no one size fits all way to teach or to learn.

So please, don't view this video and feel limited. The thought "I'm only an X" shouldn't stop you from trying something new. Nor should people who have mastered a wider set of skills assume that those with fewer accomplishments have less ability, or that the only way to teach someone else is the way that the teacher themself learned.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Is the pain in your hands from arthritis or carpal tunnel?
My MIL knitted for years using elastic fingerless gloves due to arthritis in her thumbs. She also used them for driving and she ordered them from somewhere.
they were cheap and eventually lost their elasticity but she didn’t care because they cost so little she simply ordered another case of them.
she didn’t have a computer, so my guess is that she saw in an ad in a magazine.
you can probably find some online, if you think that will help.
I have both. I am using a heavy elastic/ rubber?? bandage atm & it helps with the wrist, but the pain is still at a point, that only the love for my GS is keeping me going.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
I have been doing adult cables for years & it has really taken a toll on my hands. I think this one for one of my GS will be my last. The pain is getting unbearable. I think crocheting for so many years has done most of the damage, sadly.
If it's of interest to you, I bought a couple of pairs of these compression style gloves relatively cheaply from AliExpress, kept a pair for myself, and gave the other pair to a friend. I think they are quite good, cheap enough to give it a go anyway. These days I alternate knitting and crochet to give my hands a bit of a change, which works well for me. If you do decide to buy off AliExpress make sure you read the feedback before you hit the buy button!
So you can see what I'm talking about here is a link:

·
Super Moderator
82,750 Posts
If it's of interest to you, I bought a couple of pairs of these compression style gloves relatively cheaply from AliExpress, kept a pair for myself, and gave the other pair to a friend. I think they are quite good, cheap enough to give it a go anyway. These days I alternate knitting and crochet to give my hands a bit of a change, which works well for me. If you do decide to buy off AliExpress make sure you read the feedback before you hit the buy button!
For some reason, it’s not in English.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I learned to knit when I was about five years of age and now I am 95 years young so have been knitting for over 90 years, I call myself experienced. If there is one thing that I have learned is that there are always new and better ways of learning to do the same things one has been doing for many years. It is wonderful to belong to a site like this, all the camaraderie and willingness to share everything. I won first prize all over England when I was ten years, making a silk knitted baby set, I can still remember it. Mother basted it out onto cardboard covered with aluminum and mailed it in. I was so overjoyed, it was close to Christmas and I spent my winnings buying presents for a number of folks that gave me so much pleasure.
Happy knitting and crochet everyone! :):knitting1:
What an accomplishment! Belated Congratulations!

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
I learned to knit when I was about five years of age and now I am 95 years young so have been knitting for over 90 years, I call myself experienced. If there is one thing that I have learned is that there are always new and better ways of learning to do the same things one has been doing for many years. It is wonderful to belong to a site like this, all the camaraderie and willingness to share everything. I won first prize all over England when I was ten years, making a silk knitted baby set, I can still remember it. Mother basted it out onto cardboard covered with aluminum and mailed it in. I was so overjoyed, it was close to Christmas and I spent my winnings buying presents for a number of folks that gave me so much pleasure.
Happy knitting and crochet everyone! :):knitting1:
I can’t claim to have your awesome record of 90 years - and to win that prize at such a young age but I do agree that there are always new and different/better ways to learn. Like you I started knitting long before we had internet and YouTube so we had to rely on fellow knitters to help and put us straight. I’ve learned so much more in the last 10 years that’s for sure. May you knit on for many years to come.

·
Super Moderator
82,750 Posts
I can’t claim to have your awesome record of 90 years - and to win that prize at such a young age but I do agree that there are always new and different/better ways to learn. Like you I started knitting long before we had internet and YouTube so we had to rely on fellow knitters to help and put us straight. I’ve learned so much more in the last 10 years that’s for sure. May you knit on for many years to come.
The problem was, there simply weren’t “fellow knitters” around me. I knew they existed, because I wasn’t the only reason there were places to buy yarn, but no one I knew played with yarn - or did so when I was present. Books, magazines, and - at long last - the internet were my teachers and companions. It was only after Ravelry, that I finally managed to connect with any in-person knitting groups. JOY!! 🎉

·
Registered
3,314 Posts

I have saved the link & will have a look through it. Thankyou StitchNStash.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
The problem was, there simply weren’t “fellow knitters” around me. I knew they existed, because I wasn’t the only reason there were places to buy yarn, but no one I knew played with yarn - or did so when I was present. Books, magazines, and - at long last - the internet were my teachers and companions. It was only after Ravelry, that I finally managed to connect with any in-person knitting groups. JOY!! 🎉
i realise I wrote ‘fellow Knitters’ in the plural but in truth it was one fellow knitter who helped me greatly when I started out in my late teens - A neighbour who had 3 daughters the same ages as me and my sibs. My mum taught me the basics tho’ she was in no way a knitter but our lovely neighbour was invariably on hand to show me what ssk meant and all the other stitches that aren’t simply a knit or purl. So lucky to have known her and that I was quick on the uptake too I guess.

·
Registered
8,009 Posts
I saw a sweater pattern in a magazine when I was 22 years old. I fell in love with that sweater and wanted to make it. I had never knit before or saw anyone who did. I went to the store and bought the yarn and needles that was listed in the pattern. That sweater was a cabled turtleneck. No one was around to tell me it was hard and to try something easier first. I made that sweater and it fit. It took me about a year to make it. I had 3 young toddlers at that time, so I was quite busy. My next project was a sweater jacket that Mary Maxim had the kit for. It was a western style pattern and I made it for my father. He wore it a lot. Don't let anyone tell you that you need to start with something simple. I didn't knit a dishcloth for over 45 years. I have knit many of them now. I also didn't knit socks until about 10 years ago, but have knit almost 100 pair now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree that if you like something enough you will figure out how to do it. I have not gone through all his stages, because it doesn't matter to me. Having said that after knitting and crocheting since childhood, I still consider myself a "plain knitter". Meaning I tend to gravitate towards the easier patterns. I am currently knitting two socks in one using afterthought heels, and am wondering why I never tried them before. I am using three flexi flips, and boy it is so easy. I am really enjoying it, and I think that is the most important thing...for me anyway.
Have never heard of “flexi flips.” Could you please explain? Thanks Mary.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Have you ever wondered what level your knitting skill is at? I have just watched this interesting video clip on You Tube about this. I didn't have to listen for very long, as I'm only up to Advanced Beginner Level 3!

If it appeals, how much further can you get, and can you please report back to us with your current knitting skill level? Hoping somebody else is at my same level!!

Here's the link:
Maybe I missed hearing or seeing the credits, but who set the standard for each level? Are they arbitrary or pretty well accepted as he said they are?

141 - 160 of 179 Posts
Top Bottom