Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on a sampler lapghan and finding age is becoming a factor. I am not so good anymore. My DH was watching TV mostly and I was knitting another over-my-head square. Frog. Knit, frog. Finally got about 15 rows done and see a patch entirely wrong, started frogging.

My DH looks over to me and says, "You are really getting good at that, aren't you?" Yes, I am and that's NOT the point!!! LOL FYI, 4th time was the charm.

Reading patterns, not so good; patience very good! What's that about shutting one door and another one opens?

·
Registered
10,532 Posts
I have that same problem too. I think our minds are racing to the next project and we forget we are on a project. And then I go to a simple pattern, maybe a plain scarf. At least I am knitting and don't have to concentrate. Do not give up hope. You will get back to the difficult patterns when your mind is on your work. Good luck and just know you are not the only one who goes through this. Our mind is grocery shopping, fixing meals, calling the kids, cleaning the house, doing the laundry, getting on KP to see if you are sane (and you are because you are in good company), etc, etc. Hang in there, we are strong!!!

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
judyr said:
I have that same problem too. I think our minds are racing to the next project and we forget we are on a project. And then I go to a simple pattern, maybe a plain scarf. At least I am knitting and don't have to concentrate. Do not give up hope. You will get back to the difficult patterns when your mind is on your work. Good luck and just know you are not the only one who goes through this. Our mind is grocery shopping, fixing meals, calling the kids, cleaning the house, doing the laundry, getting on KP to see if you are sane (and you are because you are in good company), etc, etc. Hang in there, we are strong!!!
I think you've "nailed" it. Concentration. When we were busy "bringing home the bacon" our minds were totally focused and stress was a means of keeping us there. Then when we went home to relax and enjoy something for ourselves we dropped the stress and relaxed. Now being retired seniors there is no stress to begin with. So, maybe, having something going on during the day that gives us a little stress may be healthful and giving us the opportunity to relax again after. I really get bored when I don't have something "going" and just have myself to think about--I go from one thing to another without really accomplishing anything. I think I have at least a dozen half finished projects sitting around just because I became bored. My next project for the fast coming up Fall is to find a niche in an area and start a part time working job and/or volunteer some place I enjoy being.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have been knitting continental for 70 years and I make sweaters and mittens and scarfs and slippers and just use garter and stocking knit and ribbing. Once in a while I will do a small pattern stitch. I like to just knit and let my mind wander and it is kind of like meditation. I save my creative mind for embroidery and quilting but really enjoy knitting simple things. It is so relaxing for me. I would tell my hubby if I still had one to go cook dinner. So there.

·
Registered
585 Posts
DeePickens said:
I have been knitting continental for 70 years and I make sweaters and mittens and scarfs and slippers and just use garter and stocking knit and ribbing. Once in a while I will do a small pattern stitch. I like to just knit and let my mind wander and it is kind of like meditation. I save my creative mind for embroidery and quilting but really enjoy knitting simple things. It is so relaxing for me. I would tell my hubby if I still had one to go cook dinner. So there.
That sounds like a very good idea to me! While it can be good to challenge ourselves, too, it's a fine idea to use our crafts as a meditation. Knitting can be perfect for that.

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
Ask4j said:
I think you've "nailed" it. Concentration. When we were busy "bringing home the bacon" our minds were totally focused and stress was a means of keeping us there. Then when we went home to relax and enjoy something for ourselves we dropped the stress and relaxed. Now being retired seniors there is no stress to begin with. So, maybe, having something going on during the day that gives us a little stress may be healthful and giving us the opportunity to relax again after. I really get bored when I don't have something "going" and just have myself to think about--I go from one thing to another without really accomplishing anything. I think I have at least a dozen half finished projects sitting around just because I became bored. My next project for the fast coming up Fall is to find a niche in an area and start a part time working job and/or volunteer some place I enjoy being.
May I suggest volunteering at your local elementary school. First I should say. if you have good immunity to cold germs. I believe that other than raising my children, this was absolutely the most rewarding thing I ever did. I was with a first grade class and I helped with reading and math skills. The children were pure joy and they were learning far more than I had learned in first grade or for that matter, more than my children had. For those who didn't catch on as quickly or may not have received help at home, I think the role that I was given was very important. The downside was that I never saw so many runny noses in my life. When I caught the bug, I was out of commission. Couldn't even talk. Otherwise I would have continued.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
You didn't say, are you new to charts? When I started to knit again after 20 years of counted cross stitch I thought it would be s breeze. What I found out was in ccs I was just changing colors, with knitting it was stitches. It took a while to sink in but now I have problems with written instructions and just use charts.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ask4j said:
I have the same problem! I get so restless and move from one WIP to another! But I have my Aran sweater to really focus on so it will be ready for winter. I am determined to stick with it!

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
IShirl >
Working on Christmas afghan for stepson and step daughter-in-law, tediously enormous project, all done in one color -ARAN yarn - some 57" strips, and many dishcloth pattern blocks to make up the 57" strips all then to be crocheted together, also have on other needles two sweaters, two hanging dish towels and soon to start another afghan for SON. On the blocks, one pattern in particular I had to start four times before I got it right, but eventually did get it done and it turned out to be one of my favorite patterns. I say NEVER GIVE UP, eventually the words in the instructions start to make sense !!!!! Good luck and please post a pic when yours is done !

·
Registered
33,682 Posts
iShirl said:
I'm working on a sampler lapghan and finding age is becoming a factor. I am not so good anymore. My DH was watching TV mostly and I was knitting another over-my-head square. Frog. Knit, frog. Finally got about 15 rows done and see a patch entirely wrong, started frogging.

My DH looks over to me and says, "You are really getting good at that, aren't you?" Yes, I am and that's NOT the point!!! LOL FYI, 4th time was the charm.

Reading patterns, not so good; patience very good! What's that about shutting one door and another one opens?
Easy fixed.....Put your hubby in one room, and SHUT THE DOOR. You open another door and go into another room....and then SHUT your door.....lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom