Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's say your bare foot measures 10 inches from your heel to your longest toe.
If you knit a sock that is 10 inches long- it's a little sloppy loose.

How many inches (or fraction of inches) do you knit less? Would you knit for a total length of 9.5 inches?

I guess another way of asking my question is how many inches does a toe decrease add to your sock?

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
I have found a math formula for my short-row toes/heels that enables me to subtract the 'measurement' for the two added together for the foot required inches.

Not every method measures the same but the 1/2 inch less for the heel to toe is what negative ease means. The gap for the top of foot to heel will hug the foot better if you work out the estimate.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
I knit to 2" short of the full foot measurement. Knitting the toe usually gives me 1 1/2" of knitting, so that would be 1/2" of negative ease. I've knit socks in many sizes and this seems to work out for the same for all sizes. The general rule for negative ease is less 10%. Since knitting stretches more side to side rather than lengthwise I believe 10% of the length would make the sock too tight against the toe and would cause them to wear out faster.

·
Registered
23,222 Posts
AnitaCocktail said:

How many inches (or fraction of inches) do you knit less? Would you knit for a total length of 9.5 inches?

I guess another way of asking my question is how many inches does a toe decrease add to your sock?
Depending on your gauge, and the type of toe, (rounded, triangular or wedge) the toe is roughly about 2"
Socks should have about 10% negative ease. Trying on the sock while working the sock will give you the best fitting sock. (Easiest way to try on ...work on circular needles)
Personally, I much prefer knitting my socks toe up...even easier to try on...and just in case you are wondering...the short row style heel is also about 2".

·
Registered
23,222 Posts
AnitaCocktail said:

Depending on your gauge, and the type of toe, (rounded, triangular or wedge) the toe is roughly about 2"
Socks should have about 10% negative ease. Trying on the sock while working the sock will give you the best fitting sock. (Easiest way to try on ...work on circular needles)
Personally, I much prefer knitting my socks toe up...even easier to try on...and just in case you are wondering...the short row style heel is also about 2".

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
My socks are done top down & just as easy to try on....I know the standard is about 2" less to leave for the foot length but for me I leave 1 1/2"....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom